"Sink The Bismarck!"

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nearly there Chris. ;)

I've lowered the angle and height of the bow even more. The ship sits a bit better now - I think...

First layer of sea applied and gone 'ard.

The sea was very rough on the day of her sinking, so I will need another layer here and there to try and build up some humps of water...

I've used some old 'Artex' for the sea, The stuff you sometimes see on ceilings, all swirly or stippled like, layered on to a piece of polystyrene packing from some sort of domestic gizmo .

I've tried to work the rough sea sloshing up her deck a tad. Still plenty to add, but the basic sea is done.

I found a great German eye witness account (Which I've since lost) of Bismarck's last few minutes. He even remembered the position of her main guns!

P1330059.JPG

P1330060.JPG

P1330062.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nearly there Chris. ;)

First layer of sea applied and gone 'ard.

The sea was very rough on the day of her sinking, so I will need another layer here and there to try and build up some humps of water...

I've used some old 'Artex' for the sea. The stuff you sometimes see on ceilings, all swirly or stippled like.

I've tried to work the rough sea sloshing up her deck a tad. Still plenty to add, but the basic sea is done.

I found a great German eye witness account (Which I've since lost) of Bismarck's last few minutes. He even remembered the position of her main guns!

View attachment 452516

View attachment 452517

View attachment 452518

Cheers.
Ron
IM SQINTING what is it ? lol
chrisb

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Chris, Andy and Tim.

Although not obvious as yet, I've built up the sea with some more Artex and started to add a bit of colour.
P1330069.JPG

P1330070.JPG

I've bedded in a bit of clear plastic from a food container around the stern area to try and show 'Dora' just beneath the surface.
P1330073.JPG

P1330072.JPG

Still loads to do, but the basics are down.....

As well as children's water colours, (Thanks Dave) here is the paint I use for the bases of my models, particularly seas. I don't want to waste my 'Good' paints on such stuff.

I have 6 big tubes of just the basic colours. £1.00 for 120ml.. I bought mine from a well known 'Cheapo' establishment....and brought Home some Bargains. ;)
P1330075.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Cheers.
Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That sea base is looking pretty good old chap-
Better than any I could do and call 'finished'.

Love the 'window' to show D turm. A nice touch.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL 570 im sqinting but what i see so far LOOKS REALLY BRILLIANT thats all i dare say an a work of art destroyed the makers should really make destroyed ships so i wont have to see all that destruckion by a fellow modell maker oh dear lol
chrisb

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
That clear sea window at the stern is a very clever idea and works well. That slight adjustment of the angle has certainly produced a realistic sinking.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron,

Yet again great work. Very well done indeed!!

ATB.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the positive posts chaps.
Lessening the angle of the ship (yet again) has, I hope improved the look of the thing a tad...

On the day of the action, the sea was very rough, so to add a bit of variation, I've modelled the waves at an angle. To bring them into focus a bit more, I've painted the whole sea a darker blue and then high lighted the wave crests in white.

Nearly there.
P1330081.JPG

P1330083.JPG

P1330082.JPG

P1330080.JPG

For some reason the camera is taking pictures (1 and 4) of the deck boards all to pot. No1 has the boards running across the ship! :confused:

Hey ho!

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Very effective for a rough sea. Looking at the second photo the base must be fairly big.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim.
The base is 20" x 13"

Anyway, I thought you were off on yer 'ols?