SK Miniatures 1/8 Julius Caesar Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lovely jewel like colouration along with your signature crisp finish. Great stuff!

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for your kind words people. As it happens the magenta has dried with very chalky highlights, so I'm currently working over it with some washes to tone it down.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. Love the scarlet sash if that’s what you call it he looks brilliant

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

A very regal finish with the colours, hopefully the washes will cure the chalky finish.

It looks stunning in the photos before it dried

Are you using a thinned original or the highlight colour?

I guess a Pz II and some grey will certainly clear the palette for the next figure/bust.

Its thick fog here after several hours of fireworks last night!

The cats were not happy, neither was I when a spent rocket landed in front of me whilst I was out to put bricks on the bin lids!

Have a good day with the paints and/or glue

Regards

Steve H

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Peter

That's coming on rather nicely indeed.

When it comes to doing a figure representing someone who lived so long ago, I was in wondering how much contemporary info is available on what they actually looked like, rather than 'propoganda' representations. I'm obviously aware there will be busts, coins and maybe mosaics that give a physical impression. I was thinking more about skin tones, hair colour etc.

Keep up the good work.

ATB

Andrew

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - Many thanks. I think it's meant to be a cloak.

Steve - I had to give the cloak a couple of layers of pure magenta to rectify it, then deepen some of the shadows. It looks a bit flatter than it did, but I guess magenta must be similar to red and hard to highlight. I'm trying to hold my nerve and not re-paint it in another colour.
Your poor cats. A trying time for them this time of year. Our Jack Russell has always been impervious to bangs fortunately. On to the GB today.

Andrew - There are many contemporary busts of Julius Caesar and they are all fairly consistent characterful depictions, so there is little doubt as to what he looked like. There doesn't appear to be any attempt to glamourize the image, unlike his successor Augustus who is depicted as god-like, but who was actually short and had bad skin. Suetonius also gives a verbal description (tall, fair, well built and with piercing brown eyes, which tallies, and he mentions the grey hair, though he does say that Caesar was bald and tried to hide the fact by wearing laurel leaves. As to the skin tones etc, you just have to make an estimation of ethnicity etc.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Lee - Many thanks. I think it's meant to be a cloak.

Steve - I had to give the cloak a couple of layers of pure magenta to rectify it, then deepen some of the shadows. It looks a bit flatter than it did, but I guess magenta must be similar to red and hard to highlight. I'm trying to hold my nerve and not re-paint it in another colour.
Your poor cats. A trying time for them this time of year. Our Jack Russell has always been impervious to bangs fortunately. On to the GB today.

Andrew - There are many contemporary busts of Julius Caesar and they are all fairly consistent characterful depictions, so there is little doubt as to what he looked like. There doesn't appear to be any attempt to glamourize the image, unlike his successor Augustus who is depicted as god-like, but who was actually short and had bad skin. Suetonius also gives a verbal description (tall, fair, well built and with piercing brown eyes, which tallies, and he mentions the grey hair, though he does say that Caesar was bald and tried to hide the fact by wearing laurel leaves. As to the skin tones etc, you just have to make an estimation of ethnicity etc.
Thanks Peter did the info. Most informative and helpful as always.

ATB

Andrew