Small beginnings: Mk-10 Torpedo, 1:24

J

johnpipe108

I decided to start small and simple in the submarine department, and begin with a Mk-10, pre-WWII U.S. submarine torpedo. The basic materials are yellow poplar and 7/8 inch aluminium tubing; cylindrical parts turned out on a JET Mini wood-lathe.

The white stuff is teflon plumbing tape, as I consistently seem to get the plug size sanded down too small.

I cut off the prop block and am working up the pattern for the fins; I'll separate them into 4 pieces before fastening in place with CA, with a 3/32 inch brass tube inside the stern, against which they'll stop. I will attempt to carve up the props from brass stock, and will see how it comes out. I still haven't figured out how I will simulate the screw pockets. Then, the question of paint scheme. When I can arrange a trip to San Franciso, I can photograph and measure a few things at the Pampanito, such as the wood torpedo racks, and some general dimensions.

The 1-inch tubing is for the torpedo tube, naturally (Mk-14 size)! Now, if I had only images from the cinema screen to work with, life would be easy; but no, our wonderful local San Francisco Maritime Museum, home of the Pampanito, had to go and publish the The Fleet Type Submarine Online 21-Inch Submerged Torpedo Tubes! The Complete Manual! Every thing you could possibly want to know about the subject, and things you couldn't!

They also have other glorious manuals, including the 1940 periscope manual (you could virtually build an exact replica from this manual), and the Fleet Sub Operation manual!

Now, every glorious detail will beckon seductively at me, and I will have to have a go at some of the more prominent ones (I'm already trying to figure out how to implement a thread to make the breech door work!).

In the end, I will probably end up with a 1:24 scale Sargo class sub, in sections!

Regards, Johnpipe108