Small clear part shot into the abyss

First Name
Carl
I have managed to loose a small clear part for one of my models. I was holding it with tweezers when it flicked out somewhere never to be found. I doubt I’m the first to experience this misfortune.
How does one go about making a new part to suit. Can you buy clear plastic to cut from or do you just try to reshape a left over spare from another model possibly.
The part in question was No.31
Cheers Carl

Attachments

• 7B87C99F-995B-43D9-9AC8-3E13CCB76573.jpeg
    7B87C99F-995B-43D9-9AC8-3E13CCB76573.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 36

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Do you still have the sprue the clear parts were on? if so you could probably make another part although at that size it might be tricky.

Andy.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I second that, file up a replacement from the end of a piece of clear sprue. Keep it attached until you have the shape right and polished up, just in case it happens again...

First Name
Carl
Yes, I do still have the sprue bit so I will give that a go. I’ll need my glasses and magnifying light for this

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is probably too late now, but I like everyone who ever built a model, have suffered from a similar pinging of the smallest part in the entire kit, seemingly into an alternate universe.

I have had success finding them by using an old pair of the Fuhrerin's tights (or your own if you are that way inclined!) stretched over the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner. After a good hoover about you might just get lucky and find the missing part has returned to our familiar universe and is sucked onto the material of the tights. I estimate I've had an 80% success rate with this method where the other 20% have gone is anybody's guess, though I did once find a wingtip light under a skirting board.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve while your searching if you find a 1/72 cockpit from a Polikarpov 1 -`16 could you return it please !

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
This is probably too late now, but I like everyone who ever built a model, have suffered from a similar pinging of the smallest part in the entire kit, seemingly into an alternate universe.

I have had success finding them by using an old pair of the Fuhrerin's tights (or your own if you are that way inclined!) stretched over the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner. After a good hoover about you might just get lucky and find the missing part has returned to our familiar universe and is sucked onto the material of the tights. I estimate I've had an 80% success rate with this method where the other 20% have gone is anybody's guess, though I did once find a wingtip light under a skirting board.
..... But do not forget to take them of the SWMBO before attaching to vacuum cleaner.....

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Yes, I do still have the sprue bit so I will give that a go. I’ll need my glasses and magnifying light for this
And you can polish it up with ordinary toothpaste and a cloth.