Small German vehicle with 3 or 4 crew?

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Looking for the above to give a diorama the 'right' number of figures in it - don't really want to put a tank onto it - it's big enough already! Using the Demag, PAK 36 and a BMW outfit, so got 'reason' for 6, but to get all the poses/interaction I want, need 3 more.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi Gerry,
I like the Kübelwagen and Schwimmwagen, some larger vehicles could be the Horch 108 or the Steyr 1500A... etc
Have fun
Steven

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hi Gerry,
I like the Kübelwagen and Schwimmwagen, some larger vehicles could be the Horch 108 or the Steyr 1500A... etc
Have fun
Steven
Must admit that I did think of a kubelwagon/ staff car, but wasn't really wanting an officer on site, and not sure if they'd be used for general transport (will have to check on that).
Thanks

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Giving it some even more thought - might 'drop' the 2 'lookouts' - then could just add another BMW R75 - either solo or sidecar

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Gerry,how about Tamiya`s Krupp Protze?
It`s a cracking kit to build,and has,in my opinion,an interesting look:thumb2:,
Just a thought,
Andy
P.S. Although most of the kits that come up immediately have the Protze towing an artillery piece,if that`s too big for your Dio,there is a version available which is the Protze on it`s own,with a couple crew figures.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Thanks for the suggestions - been sketching out a rough 1:1 'floor plan' and might have to extend the original size a little anyway - still will be 'tight', so 'smaller is better' with the additional vehicle
Gerry,how about Tamiya`s Krupp Protze?
It`s a cracking kit to build,and has,in my opinion,an interesting look:thumb2:,
Just a thought,
Andy
P.S. Although most of the kits that come up immediately have the Protze towing an artillery piece,if that`s too big for your Dio,there is a version available which is the Protze on it`s own,with a couple crew figures.
Looks though it might be a squeeze to get it in on this one - looks like it might be a future build :thumb2:

Another option is the Tamiya Kettenrad?
Think they were a bit later than the period that I'm looking at (1940-43)? Though dates don't usually bother me too much - I'll keep that one in mind!

Gerry,
how about a small armoured car? HobbyBoss make a nice Sd.Kfz. 222 in various versions to suit the period
Dave
Even a kit out there with a solo bike (which would give both options) - might look deeper at that one, thanks:thumb2:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Kettenrads were in service from 1941 Gerry.....
Thanks - I thought that they came in later is all, but thinking about it - they wouldn't have seen service in N Africa otherwise. Duh!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Kublewagons, and other "cross country" cars were used for almost anything so an officer is not required, but as German officers (even generals) were often seen "up front" they can appear in/on anything. There's a famous photo of three high ranking officers, on a motorcycle combination, at least one of which is wounded. PaulE

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Not planning on it being too 'up front'- more of a sort of 'routine movement' of kit in a mountainous area - similar to this photo
1613833642125.png
I say 'similar' as the photo is Scotland, but let's face it, it could be any mountainous region - was going to add a few stunted trees and an area off the hairpin (where the photographer is standing), but keep the incline (about 1 in 5) & the 'corner' part of the hairpin.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That will be a great scene for a dio Gerry.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
That will be a great scene for a dio Gerry.
Though I will be using quite a bit of 'artistic licencing' on rock formations etc!
Getting the hairpin, incline, positions of rock faces, vehicles/figures/stream roughly sorted out on paper at the moment - then I'll be using paper 'footprints' to finally sort it all out. :tongue-out3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Must admit that I did think of a kubelwagon/ staff car, but wasn't really wanting an officer on site, and not sure if they'd be used for general transport (will have to check on that).
Kübelwagen were used much like jeeps on the Allied side: for pretty much every job that a car like that could do. There is no need at all to have an officer there too if you want a Kübelwagen.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Well, got the photo 'edited', as I thought that I'd use it at the end to 'continue' the road off base - just hope that I can 'stretch' it to match without it too being obvious - removed the car (hopefully not too obvious) & I've 'flipped' it - having blown it up to A4 size, there seems to be an ideal 'line' that I can build to - hopefully it'll work (only reason to 'flip' was that I want the r/h side of one of the vehicles to be displayed).
bealach b&w.jpg

Last edited: