Small off-road 'Run Down' truck depot yard Dio

First Name
Charles
\ said:
Tiking, your work is outstanding! I am getting back into modelling after many years and I love the realism experts like yourself get. My question to you is how do you get the peeling paint effect? e.g. -the blue showing through on the doors with the brown/rust lifting off the surface. Also, how do you make what looks like rust underneath the surface - it looks like actual bubbling of the paint! Wonderful work.Thank you, Bob (P.S. - I am not an artist)
Sorry for the very late reply. Have not been on here in a long time. Been busy with the kids and work. The procedure is pretty simple.

1. I first sprayed the model with a base color. That's blue.

2. After it dried I sprayed coat of the final color, that being the brown. (I would suggest you spray a dull coat just to protect the underlying color(blue or whatever color from coming off).

3. Then I let it dry for 5-10 mins, then I just peeled away, using a X-to knife. You could also mask the area with artist masking fluid, which would protect the area after spraying the final color on top. Either way the results are the same. At least for me. I just experiment.

4. The rust underneath is a combination of Mig rust power and black, grey pigments I mix together to get the variations. The peeling effect is pretty much the same procedure by scraping the top layer just carefully, enough to lift it off without it coming completely off.

First Name
Charles
Decided to rearranged the look of this dio. Just dis-regard the ugly look of the form board sides. Pics were taken before the side panels were added.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That is one superb dio, it does look so real, how did you get the flaking effect? 5 star build, just awesome!

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Charles
\ said:
That is one superb dio, it does look so real, how did you get the flaking effect? 5 star build, just awesome!Si:smiling3:
Thanks si.