Smer 1/32 1911 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all i bought this kit from our LMS, not a great kit.
Loads of flash and the fit is awful, is this what Smer kits are normally like.
24zjbqh.jpg

xe4qdj.jpg

2q3zmnq.jpg

fdejw6.jpg

2vwe8vo.jpg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
It's covered in ecto plasm !!

But if anyone can bring this old spirit back to life it's Ken

Go on work your magic!!

Regards

Robert

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ken
That looks a challenge. It looks even worse than the ss100 I'm working on and your 'goat vomit green' is an incentive to get to the primer stage. I shall follow along with interest and I'm sure to pick up loads of car building tips.
Jim

D

Deleted member 3568

Well I've filled and sprayed the body, this in now going to be a street rod, I sprayed the mud guards and the paint reacted weirdly (went all lumpy with holes in it) tried removing the paint with clean spirit (it's an ecologically friendly brush cleaner you wash out with water) and the mud guards melted, I mean to the point it looks like a blob of melted plastic. I've used this stuff before with no trouble.
2yk1gk0.jpg

2qw0z0m.jpg

3091w7p.jpg

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, according to Scalemates, this can be dated back to 1955! Possibly by Airfix, but maybe back to 1953 by Revell! Older than me! It makes you wonder what happened to all those moulds of vintage cars produced by Airfix the Bentley, Bugatti, Darraq, De Dietrich, Lanchester, Ford Model T, Morris Cowley, Mercedes etc etc. I have seen some of these in the original polybag packaging change hands for silly money! ( to me anyway! )
Dave

First Name
Noel
Those old kits certainly pose a challenge, but with a bit of work can make up into nice little replicas. I can remember the old bagged kits from Airfix from way back in the 50's and 60's. There were other manufacturers who made 1/32 scale auto kits from way back. Revell had a small series I think named Highway Pioneers, whilst Gowland and Aurora had 1/32nd scale ranges as well. 1/32 scale seems to have waned over the years except in the slot car racing field. Airfix made nice little Bugatti T35, MG Magnette and Alfa Romeo kits in the 70's and still persist to this day making a limited number of car kits in this scale.
I agree with Dave about some of these bagged kits being sold for silly money by traders, considering that many of these kits were poor anyway. A few years ago at SMW Telford I spotted a Mk 1 Vauxhall Viva on a traders stand that interested me as I passed my test in one. The asking price was £50.00! I may have passed my test in one but also passed on the kit at that ridiculous price. Would not mind betting the trader picked it up as part of a bereaved modellers collection for next to nothing!

Last edited: