Snapped this today.

First Name
Andy
While out and about on the bike I saw this and thought of you military modellers.
51324605493_b3086fd04b_b.jpg
51324406131_82646f9949_b.jpg
51323663317_1e4a05a288_b.jpg
WW11 25 pounder, it has sat in the park in Dunbar since 2005 and gets a hard time with kids clambering all over it. I have seen it many times but today I thought of this forum, no idea if the pictures mean anything to a modeller.

Andy.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I see that and immediately think of Airfix! I also think of the Larkhill artillery days when I were a nipper. They used to demonstrate all sorts of barrage types with whole batteries of these, firing off tons of ammo. The word on the street being that they were trying to use up WW2 ammo stocks…….I always thought the high angle/low angle shot was really ace….fire one shot at a target from very high angle, then re-lay the gun over direct sites and fire a second shot. Both shots hit the target at the same time…..it got a big wow from an eight year old kid!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I always thought the high angle/low angle shot was really ace….fire one shot at a target from very high angle, then re-lay the gun over direct sites and fire a second shot. Both shots hit the target at the same time…..
PzH 2000 can do this with up to five rounds, all indirect, and as I recall, with a whole battery at the same time if need be …

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ah, computers - what happens when they fail and traditional soldiering has to take over I wonder ... Unless the EMP has been completely negated of course!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
PzH 2000 can do this with up to five rounds, all indirect, and as I recall, with a whole battery at the same time if need be …
Yep, but these guns are forties technology loaded, laid and aimed by hand, and I saw it happen When the PzH2000 was still a glint in the gunners eye ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ah, computers - what happens when they fail and traditional soldiering has to take over I wonder ... Unless the EMP has been completely negated of course!
The EMP from a nuclear explosion, you mean? Nobody ever trained for what happened after that anyway. Well, I suppose some civilian organisations did, but NATO exercises tended to end at the point when nuclear weapons would have been deployed …

Yep, but these guns are forties technology loaded, laid and aimed by hand, and I saw it happen When the PzH2000 was still a glint in the gunners eye ;)
I know, I was just saying it’s even worse now :smiling3:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Jakko,
There definitely was contingency planning and scenario modelling - how realistic it was fortunately never befell us to discover
Steve

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Sure, but it seems hardly anyone ever did an actual field exercise to practice how to fight after the bomb dropped. Fighting in NBC kit, sure, but never on the scale needed to properly prepare for a post-nuke battlefield, as far as I know.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Jakko,
The definition of a post-nuclear battlefield scenario was, by extension, contentious by all the major powers; I was personally involved in the development of 'stay behind' groups as one aspect of 'future' planning . I believe that any large scale field exercise would have been seen as unnecessarily provocative, counter productive, and against all established national security norms in the latter years of the Cold War. However, that is merely a personal viewpoint based on my experience and training! I also think we are digressing from the main thrust of this thread - I'm more than happy to continue this via PM should you wish though!
Steve

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The 25 pounder looks like one used at Edinburgh castle for the one o'clock gun, shiny & polished up, pretty loud too!

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy great pics bet you didn't think it would go off on one like this ,Tim Larkhall done some work in there a great many years ago now but had a excellent outside contractors naffi huge brekkie for about thirty or forty odd pence so tells you how long ago , Colin me and my little brother would play on the landing with the toilet door open obvious what the target was. Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Andy great pics bet you didn't think it would go off on one like this ,Tim Larkhall done some work in there a great many years ago now but had a excellent outside contractors naffi huge brekkie for about thirty or forty odd pence so tells you how long ago , Colin me and my little brother would play on the landing with the toilet door open obvious what the target was. Dave
If there was a passerby I don't think "I'm singing in the rain" would have been the choice of song. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I had one of these when I was a lad.. Made by Corgi, a poor representation, but it could fire matchsticks a good distance. The dog hated young Colin.
Me too!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The Dragon 25 pdr made up to a nice model - I will make a crew for it some day! As Kate says (all too frequently) "The Road to Hell is paved with good intentions love!"

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Jakko,
There definitely was contingency planning and scenario modelling - how realistic it was fortunately never befell us to discover
Steve
I played the part of a nuclear zombie, swmbo says I am still in character....