Snorkeling off a Saipan beach......The Players.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Welcome to the shallow waters around Saipan. I hope you have your mask, snorkel and fins (Please don't call them 'Flippers!) to hand?

I started this over on 'What's on the bench?' But now, you poor people, I'm going to continue the build in a bit more detail, so it will no longer be suitable for W.O.T.B.

I'm going to try and build the following and place them 'underwater' An aircraft, an LCM (Both 1/72) and possibly a 1/350 submarine or something similar. I don't know yet.

I am cheating a bit, as I have already built a semi submerged Sherman tank, so it seems daft to build another, but it will be in the final line up.......

A quick recap.
First off the blocks is a 1/72 Grumman Wildcat.
I made the remains of the cockpit frame from thin strips of plastic card.
P1300837.JPG

I've also cut out the control surfaces, as I intend to scratch build just the skeleton framework, devoid of covering. I don't know whether these were fabric covered or metal. I'm not bothered which, as hopefully they will be more interesting naked nude.....
P1300839.JPG

The 'finished' aircraft. I like to complete underwater stuff before adding the barnyculs, as it gives me an opportunity to mess with any marine growth to reveal bits of decal and paintwork. This hopefully, makes for a more varied surface to the subject....
P1300852.JPG

I wanted to show the engine, so I hacked off the engine cowl and bent it downwards, then added crushed gravel and filler sprinkled onto some pva. Ready now for some 'Fiddling'
P1300855.JPG

P1300858.JPG

This brings me up to date.

We will probably be snorkeling to about 10mtrs, so you will experience some pain in your eardrums. Simply pinch you nose through your mask and swallow. Your ears will pop (try it now as you read this to get the pop, yes I know you are not wearing a mask. Although it wouldn't surprise me if 453 has one on!) and the pain will disappear.

If it doesn't go away, please surface by the safety boat....Wimp!

...and NO refunds!

Jack Custard

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Oh Ron. At it again. Something very unusual and difficult to pull off. I'm sure it will be most interesting. And I get to wear the rubber suit
Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
THIS should get intresting as 570 is great at story telling an im sitting on the bottom in me dive suit just now ready to whatch what this ear chappie will come up with (GULP) OH i nearly swallowed me regulator lol
the frogman

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Glad to have you on this 'Holiday Abroad'

Sorry Dave, Tim beat you with regards to Weetabix over on W.O.T.B.

Back to the build...
I've done me a bit of whittling using thin plastic card.
One rudder, two elevators and a single aileron. The other is buried. ;) Not worried about accuracy as they will be covered in marine growth, so near enough for purpose.

P1300859.JPG

Next, I'll fix them in position and add the 'growth' Then all the observed discrepancies will vanish.....

Cheers.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
How did you know I would be wearing my mask ? 570 Half the time my googles mist up and I'm expecting a shopping delivery any minute.
You try answering the door dressed in a rubber suit, mask and googles !

Jacques Cousteau.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
At my time of life, I'm glad to still have something to hold...... :flushed:

Anyway, here are the control surfaces glued in place and waiting for mother nature to come along.

P1300860.JPG

P1300861.JPG

Cheers.
Ivor Neo Preensoot

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Tim.

On with the L.C.
Me being a Founder member of the 'Cheapskate Model Making Society', I've decided that instead of wasting money on a proper 1/72 L.C. kit, only to cover it with all sorts of horrid marine growth, I'm going to make the vessel out of a cardboard cereal packet. Should be fun, as I've never done such a thing before.

I found a basic drawing of an L.C. on 'tinternet, so I've scaled it to 1/72, then drew it out on paper and transferred these to the cereal packet and cut out the shapes needed.

I've learned from my somewhat limited knowledge of cardboard/paper kits that just gluing the edges together is not strong enough, so I've made me some strips of thin card 'Gussets' suitably adorned with dart cut outs. Glued to the edges of the cards, these allow for the flexing of the joints in both directions.....

The ramp(top left) is made from plastic card because I tried cardboard and was unable to cut out the slats neatly enough.

P1300868.JPG

Some of the angle strengthening gussets.
P1300933.JPG

Should be interesting.......:thinking::upside:

Igor A. Gusitortoo

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
I'll bet you got a Blue Peter badge in your youth. Do you still have a Tracy Island in the loft?? :rolling:
Crud covered airyplane looks suitably derelict. A card Landing Craft :thumb2: There's a bit of a foodie theme to the Ron school of modelling - pizza bases a year or so ago and now you've moved on to cereal boxes. My guess is you're already saving baked bean tins for some future project!
Jim

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy