Snorkeling off a Saipan beach......The Players.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Welcome to the shallow waters around Saipan. I hope you have your mask, snorkel and fins (Please don't call them 'Flippers!) to hand?

I started this over on 'What's on the bench?' But now, you poor people, I'm going to continue the build in a bit more detail, so it will no longer be suitable for W.O.T.B.

I'm going to try and build the following and place them 'underwater' An aircraft, an LCM (Both 1/72) and possibly a 1/350 submarine or something similar. I don't know yet.

I am cheating a bit, as I have already built a semi submerged Sherman tank, so it seems daft to build another, but it will be in the final line up.......

A quick recap.
First off the blocks is a 1/72 Grumman Wildcat.
I made the remains of the cockpit frame from thin strips of plastic card.
View attachment 431126

I've also cut out the control surfaces, as I intend to scratch build just the skeleton framework, devoid of covering. I don't know whether these were fabric covered or metal. I'm not bothered which, as hopefully they will be more interesting naked nude.....
View attachment 431127

The 'finished' aircraft. I like to complete underwater stuff before adding the barnyculs, as it gives me an opportunity to mess with any marine growth to reveal bits of decal and paintwork. This hopefully, makes for a more varied surface to the subject....
View attachment 431128

I wanted to show the engine, so I hacked off the engine cowl and bent it downwards, then added crushed gravel and filler sprinkled onto some pva. Ready now for some 'Fiddling'
View attachment 431129

View attachment 431130

This brings me up to date.

We will probably be snorkeling to about 10mtrs, so you will experience some pain in your eardrums. Simply pinch you nose through your mask and swallow. Your ears will pop (try it now as you read this to get the pop, yes I know you are not wearing a mask. Although it wouldn't surprise me if 453 has one on!) and the pain will disappear.

If it doesn't go away, please surface by the safety boat....Wimp!

...and NO refunds!

Jack Custard
Prefer a glass bottomed boat - you can see the sights, whilst clutching an ice-cold stubby!
( did that in Rabaul - sunken Jap ships everywhere! )
Dave

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Great to see these "Crusties" back on the bench Ron. This is a great idea and you've made good progress. I am a little bummed out though....I guess there won't be any chucking up in this one either........................

Prost
Allen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nah Andy.....'ats just 570 spilling his "Wheat a bix" all over the place!! ;) Seriously great modeling there Mr. Ron......I really wouldn't know where to begin with something like this. You have defo done yourself proud, Sir! :thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone.....

....I really wouldn't know where to begin with something like this.

Rick. A good start would be to have a look at Si's stuff (eddiesolo) ;)

Thanks again chaps.
Ron