'Snow Cat'... 1/35 Dragon Sd.Kfz.171 Panther (D) kursk ...Winter white wash..

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
So, I originally started this build a couple of years ago, then for some reason..(i'm guessing the absolute mix of information regarding 'Kursk' Panthers') it got put to one side,
Jump forward to a couple of weeks ago, and after finishing the Kinetic 1/48 Mirage 3 (Argentinian), I figured I'd drag this from it's resting place and have another crack at finishing it...

I felt I couldn't be bothered to continue on with a 'Kursk Panther' , so i decided to do a winter white wash on it...(the first one I've ever done as i'd hidden away from messing around with white washes'),
started with this Kit
s-l400.jpg

And currently have this....(they aren't the best pictures.. but you get the idea where i'm going with it..)
IMG_3937.jpg

IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I always think that winter camouflage is the most difficult finish! I've never seen a real tank in this winter wear, and I find it very hard to visualise how it would look when first applied, and a few weeks after! Photos only go so far, and artists' impressions are just that.
Yours looks excellent - what's the next step?
- Your title puzzled me 'Kursk - winter white wash' - I knew that the battle was in July/August, but I didn't think the Russian weather was that bad!!:thinking: Now I understand......
Dave

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice work on the winter white wash. With the rest of the weathering this should turn into a real cracker.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I always think that winter camouflage is the most difficult finish! I've never seen a real tank in this winter wear, and I find it very hard to visualise how it would look when first applied, and a few weeks after! Photos only go so far, and artists' impressions are just that.
Yours looks excellent - what's the next step?
- Your title puzzled me 'Kursk - winter white wash' - I knew that the battle was in July/August, but I didn't think the Russian weather was that bad!!:thinking: Now I understand......
Dave

Hi Dave,
it was the idea that i could jump forward a few months, drop the Kursk timeline and do a panther in a snow dio, (although to find pics of a panther D in the snow seems to be few and far between...I did find a couple, so that's good enough for me)..

The next step is a snow covered dio using the following base... (without the archway..as a panther wont fit on it if i leave it on..lol)

81NErsbSrYL._AC_SX679_.jpg

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Guys i need your advice,

Here's where I'm at with this Dio, and i need some advice to move it along,
firstly the figures I'm using.. (I'll never be a figure painter, compared to some of the work I've seen on here mine look like three year old has had a play with a paint brush.. lol)

The question I have is, Is there anything more I can do to them to improve them ? I'm happy with them, but feel I should be able to do better !...

image0.jpegimage2.jpegimage4.jpeg

And the actual dio, what's the best idea to 'dirty' up the snow in the foreground of it ? I'm kind of going for a kind of freshly fallen snow, but not enough to 'white everything out' look !
IMG_3982.jpgIMG_3983.jpg
Thanks for any advice guys..

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Chris

Sorry but I can't see any pictures.

Yours

Andrew

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
i'll have a check...

just re added the pics...maybe it was a glitch somewhere along the line..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Chris
i think the figures look pretty good to be honest. In particular the jacket and trouser work is really nice. If they are lacking anything it is the deepest shadows and the delineation of different areas, which would increase the contrast. I wouldn’t try to add it now though as you could undo the really good work already there. Base looks excellent by the way, gives me the shivers :cool:

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Quick Bump... any thoughts on the questions chaps ?

@Tim Marlow thx for your thoughts buddy. would love to know more about the technique you mentioned, if you wouldn't mind.:thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent result Chris.
Very nice composition, coupled with great pictures. You have obviously thought it through properly.

I don't criticize, it's your model and you are quite rightly, happy with it....There again there is nothing to criticize!

Very well done.

Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Chris
Well I'd be very proud of that. The whitewash and the weathering on the tank look great. The figures are excellent - always think that figures make a dio. Well done with that MiniArt building. Just show how well they can turn out.
Jim

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Nice work Chris, the Panther sits well in it's surroundings.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry Chris,

I don't like like it because after looking at the first pic, I had to go and put on my winter coat and mittens!!! And I'm inside my apartment...

Seriously though, the whole scene is really well done and...cold. Love the Kitty and the figs do bring it to life. Top work Sir!!!

Allen ShiVeRing aS I TYpe