So, Tanks

First Name
Gary
Looking to starting modelling again and have my eye on a JU 88 to start. Then I started looking at tank you tube vids and some of the builds here. Never thought about tanks, ever. But now I’m interested.
I know there’s probably loads of ones to start but any suggestions welcome

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Welcome to S.M. Garry.

You will get loads of different answers to this.
The early Tamiya kits are a good start. Cheap and easy to make.

Most of the modelling fraternity slaughter them, but I like them, warts and all!
Folks write they are good "To Practice on." Maybe so, but they can still be made up into very respectable models.

Ron

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Gary. I am a total wingy thing person and the StuG build group is my first ever attempt at armour. I went for a cheap Tamiya kit for the reasons that i know they are easy to build. They don'tcost a packet to buy. I want to experiment on them/learn new skills.

Later down the line i will buy some more tanks (no StuGs sorry Bob) and they will be more expensive, modern kits. But for now for someone like me who is dipping his toe into the world of armour, they are perfect.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Garry

Welcome aboard. You could do worse than this as a starter - Tamiya Pz II.

It's been recommended no end of times on various sites. I even have one in the stash as my first 1/35 kit (I normally do 1/72 and mostly armour) and it comes with some figures too. All for only £10ish.

Good luck in your hunt!!

All the best.

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Good suggestion from Andrew.
.... or THIS from John at the site shop. Being a Supporter you also get a discount :thumb2:
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The main thing, if you ask me, would be to find a vehicle you like enough to want to build a model of — or preferably, a couple. This because “tanks” is a very wide subject. Would you like one from the First World War, from the Second, from modern times, anywhere in between all of those? Do you like the looks of small tanks or big ones? What colour(s) would you like to paint on them? Is there perhaps a particular type that catches your imagination? And so on.

Then see if Tamiya makes a kit of it (or of one of them): as already mentioned, in terms of build quality and instructions you can’t really go wrong with them, which makes them pretty much ideal for those who’ve never built a model of this kind (or, indeed, any model) before. It also helps to ask on here if anyone has any thoughts about the kit(s) you have your eye on, because they may point out pitfalls or other things you may want to be aware of.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Welcome Garry,
All good advice above, and if you do not know - ask.
Mike.