Sold Out!

First Name
Steven
Forgive my ignorance but is it just me or are most “Tiger” late version1/35 models sold out. RFM, DRAGON and MENG all seem to be unavailable

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
You tried looking for the Trumpeter or Tamiya one?

First Name
Steven
Hi Alan,

I have a Tamiya but just wanted another model. I’ll try the Trumpeter

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
There is always the Airfix Tiger 1 - Late.

Apparently this is a re-boxed Academy kit !
with less decal options.

HTH,

Paul.
:smiling:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you want an accurate model, then the Academy/Airfix one is not a great choice. It has the wrong turret shape, for one, being designed probably before its true plan became commonly known. If you get a version with interior then it has some even more obvious mistakes, like ammo racks in the sponsons that are only three rounds wide instead of four (because Academy wanted the turret to have the usual bayonet tabs to secure it to the hull, so the racks needed to be narrower).

First Name
Steven
Do you have a brand that
If you want an accurate model, then the Academy/Airfix one is not a great choice. It has the wrong turret shape, for one, being designed probably before its true plan became commonly known. If you get a version with interior then it has some even more obvious mistakes, like ammo racks in the sponsons that are only three rounds wide instead of four (because Academy wanted the turret to have the usual bayonet tabs to secure it to the hull, so the racks needed to be narrower).
what would be your advice on a authentic Tiger?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think I would go for any modern kit, designed/released in the last 20 years or so, but not one from earlier. But I’m far from an expert on this particular type of tank :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As to accuracy - well I think most models have shortcomings, it depends on what you are prepared to accept!
Of course :smiling3: It’s too easy to get hung up on (in)accuracy, and what really matters is if you think the model is good enough for your standards.

The main inaccuracy I referred to, by the way, is that older kits (and drawings) of the Tiger I have a symmetrical turret, when viewed from above, with the gun off-centre to the right. It was discovered 25 years ago or so that actually, the gun is centred in the turret but that is wider on the left than on the right. It’s fairly subtle, but you can fairly easily spot the difference on a model, especially if you know it and/or can compare an accurate and an inaccurate one side by side.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Thanks Ian, but it is the late version I’m after as I’m hoping to do a Normandy Dio

You can do it with a mid version too (which is what i'm doing using the Trumpeter mid kit) ;)

First Name
Steven
You can do it with a mid version too (which is what i'm doing using the Trumpeter mid kit) ;)
Hi Alan,

let me know how you get on. I’d like to get a metal barrel and some photo etch for my Tiger

First Name
Steven
Thing is you can go nuts and spend a silly amount of money

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thing is you can go nuts and spend a silly amount of money
On a Tiger kit? Surely not … ;)

If you want to add photoetched bits, it pays to ask yourself whether you think you’ll actually use most of it. Very often, etched detail sets provide far more parts than are actually useful, or even that you can reasonably build. Also, when you do have a set, you may want to compare the etched part to the kit’s version and to the real thing, to decide whether it’s an improvement or not — because many sets would have you replace a round plastic part by a flat etched part, when the real thing is round.

First Name
Steven
On a Tiger kit? Surely not … ;)

If you want to add photoetched bits, it pays to ask yourself whether you think you’ll actually use most of it. Very often, etched detail sets provide far more parts than are actually useful, or even that you can reasonably build. Also, when you do have a set, you may want to compare the etched part to the kit’s version and to the real thing, to decide whether it’s an improvement or not — because many sets would have you replace a round plastic part by a flat etched part, when the real thing is round.
Indeed. I do like the look of metal tracks but not sure I could go through the pain of assembling them

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve built one set of metal tracks in my life, and though that went well enough, I didn’t enjoy it enough to want to use nothing but :smiling3: If the kit you settle on comes with hard plastic tracks, then replacing them by metal ones is probably unnecessary anyway, though it does depend a bit of ease of assembly too, I suppose :smiling3: