Soldering Photo-Etch

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Jon ive never spoken to you before as just never got roundIMG_5433.JPG to it as we on differnt subjects but on P/E could we see what P/E you are doin ? as i have done a fiarly big P/E RADAR PIC above against my hand so you can see its fairly big an i was goin to solder but the P/E is so thin its a job to get them to solder so i took the idea of SUPERGLUEIN 1mm sqaure plastic evergreen strips an then it was a lot easyier to glue togeather an i know this is not soldering but for me it was a lot easyier an ive done this on my other ships big radar's an they are still ok after 20yrs out in all sorts of heat from the sun an i must admit i did solder my last small radar as it was under alot of tenshion but for me supergluein is best
chris

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5496

HI Jon ive never spoken to you before as just never got roundView attachment 418641 to it as we on differnt subjects but on P/E could we see what P/E you are doin ? as i have done a fiarly big P/E RADAR PIC above against my hand so you can see its fairly big an i was goin to solder but the P/E is so thin its a job to get them to solder so i took the idea of SUPERGLUEIN 1mm sqaure plastic evergreen strips an then it was a lot easyier to glue togeather an i know this is not soldering but for me it was a lot easyier an ive done this on my other ships big radar's an they are still ok after 20yrs out in all sorts of heat from the sun an i must admit i did solder my last small radar as it was under alot of tenshion but for me supergluein is best
chris
Chris soldering with low temp solder is a doddle. Just apply solder as you would C/A. Then apply heat gun at low temp 10 secs joint made & strong.

Soldered many pieces of thin PE no problems as the low heat does not affect the PE. The low temp solder works at about 130 degrees & does not warp the PE.

Laurie

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
AN IT came out ok an quite stronge finshed pic below
chris ps hope you dont mind Jon of me putting my pics on your thread if you do say so an i'll remove them
View attachment 418643
Hi Chris.You post away :thumb2:
I'm waiting for the 1/72 Flower Class and I've got a few bits and bats that will need soldering
Thanks for all the help everyone.
Jon.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris soldering with low temp solder is a doddle. Just apply solder as you would C/A. Then apply heat gun at low temp 10 secs joint made & strong.

Soldered many pieces of thin PE no problems as the low heat does not affect the PE. The low temp solder works at about 130 degrees & does not warp the PE.

Laurie
HI AGAIN Jon exscuse me while just answer Laurie an hi Laurie yes i can solder fairly well not brilliant as you as in real life job i was a welder so i know the princibles behind soldering but i hav'nt got a low temp soldering iron an as this is my last big model i dint think it was worth buyin one as there is no more P/E on my tiger apart from the crane an thats nr built an thank you for pointing this out.

But for me supergluein the P/E is a lot easyier this is just my opinion an i know you think different an havin seen your work on that seaking P/E ITS BEEN DONE BY AN EXSPERT which is you Laurie an im not up to this standard of soldering you have done so we all just do the best we can to get the P/E unit built dont we.
An on my second smaller radar on the back of tigers main mast i soldered this only because it a very difficult shape bent like a banna on the sides an accross the top an bottom an the brass was all under tenshion an very difficult to solder pic below but its done to my sattisfaction so im happy IMG_6117.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN a shot of the nr finished small height finding radar on the back of tiger 's main mast an its on the learn because its fitted only losely on the shaft an it will straiten up when i fit it proberly an tighten up the allen screws on the shaft chris
IMG_6121.JPG

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris.You post away :thumb2:
I'm waiting for the 1/72 Flower Class and I've got a few bits and bats that will need soldering
Thanks for all the help everyone.
Jon.
AN HI again Jon a flower class eh will it be the HMS SNOWBERRY ? an i hope you will post this build on here as i would love to see it built an will it be a floaty or a static ?
chris

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Ha.Compass Rose if I can't get all the in the info on Bluebell.
static display if all goes well.
Jon.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a good looking up market soldering station Carl.

First Name
Carl
That’s a good looking up market soldering station Carl.
To be honest they are not too expensive and I just thought it was all together and tidy. This one also allows to unscrew and change to various end bits for the soldering which could be usefully. I only used it a couple of times but It did the trick.
As mentioned, the flux was particularly helpful as brushing this on in liquid form helps the solder into the correct place.