Some general advice needed.

First Name
Ross
Hi guys

I'm using a Fuji FinePix S5600 and trying to take some photos of the following.

swr titan 4.jpg

swr titan 4b.jpg

I'm finding it hard to get the subtlety's of the weathering to show up, not knowing much about photography, I'm guessing it's to much light reflecting back from the metal. Any advice would be appreciated.

cheers
Ross

Attachments

• swr titan 3b.jpg
    swr titan 3b.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 4

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
try putting a bit of kitchen paper over the flash, it will soften it..................or stand further away and zoom in

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Try switching the flash off and using natural daylight (not direct sunlight). This will minimise reflection and blown highlights. As Paul says, get the camera further away and crop the picture because that should increase depth of field. I can see from these that you are closer than the minimum focus on your camera, the mat in front of the model is in focus, but the model is slightly soft. Also, get the model about a foot away from a plain coloured uncluttered background because that will make it stand out more. Lastly, put the camera on something solid (blue tax it to a block of wood or such on the bench if you don’t have a tripod) get it down level with the model and use the self timer facility take the picture and minimise hand shake.
Cheers
Tim

First Name
Ross
Paul and Tim

Thanks for the good advice I will give it all a try, first chance I get.

cheers
Ross

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Last thing Ross, if your camera has a macro mode use that to take the pictures. Hope it helps.
Tim

First Name
Ross
Hi Paul and Tim

Yes it has a macro setting and I use it already.

cheers
Ross

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Ross, great, just lighting, background and holding it steady to worry about then....
Tim

First Name
Ross
Tim, background and holding steady but the light is the big problem, I will have to try on the weekend during the day, when I can get a bit of natural light.
cheers
Ross