SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
You are a talented builder Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Cheers Al for the kind comment but alway's striveing to get to be a better builder an on this forum looking at the builds you guys are doing I hope to do that an I am enjoying myself looking at as many build's as possible. As the saying goes you never stop learning chris

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi All here's another recent build a kitty hawk kit jag in 1/48 scale an this was my first attempt to airbrush the model an maybe my last as I wasn't impressed with it an the airbrush I borrowed from a friend the compressor only went for a short while before it shut down due to thermal cut out I think an then started again when it cooled down.Do all these compressors do this when you use them when airbrushing ? chrisPICT0239.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
A few more shots of it just after airbrushing an don't take any notice of the decalls as half of them fell to bits when I put them in water so not proper sqr markingsPICT0237.JPG

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Afternoon Chris,
I was just reading your question about your first use of airbrush and compressor.
Here are the basics......a compressor sucks air in and blows it via a one way valve into a storage tank (In most cases)
once pressure in the tank gets to a certain point a pressure switch on the tank shuts the compressor off. As you use the stored air through the airbrush the pressure in the tank drops, the pressure switch detects a drop in pressure and will then reactivate the compressor to top up the air you have used.
The airflow from the tank to your airbrush should be regulated and remain the same all the time your using it.

Without seeing the set you used, I’ve generalised. Not all compressors work in exactly the same way, but you get the idea.
Using the airbrush can be a steep learning curve, getting you paint mixture, air pressure and practice is the key. There are many great ‘how to’ videos on YouTube but beware, there is also some absolute twaddle too!

But remember an airbrush isn’t essential, there are some fine modellers that brush paint and get excellent results!
Hope this helps

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Many thanks Si for the info im going to have good think about things an try an learn a bit more cheers chris

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
It is just the case of practising Chris. I am still learning about airbrushing and yet i've been doing it for years. Somtimes it can come down to the manufacturer of the paint you use. I do not like using Xtracrylix paints but their colour range is fantastic. On the other hand Tamiya paints are superb to spray but their colours sometimes need blending to be 'correct'.

If you can, buy a really cheap model. Build it up and then use it as a test bed for spraying and paints.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Ive already got a cheap helo model to do some testing Al but thanks for the tip.An Jakko v- good LOL chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hello All just managed to borrow a decent camera to post some pic's of my latest ship build HMS NORFOLK F230 in 1/72 scale
even with a good camera its difficult to photograph the whole model as its a big model.But ive tried to do it justice

The model has taken 4 yrs to build an has several working features all by R/C eg. nav lights ' bridge lights ' three working radars' working stablizers'
an open an closeing hangar door ' an working merlin visiting helicopter with nav lights ' hangar bay lights an flight deck flood lights ' an lastly the ship is fitted with ship wide floodlighting for when she gets put into a show hope you guys like itIMG_3721.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An as its a big model I will put on several close up pic's so the detail can be seen the bowIMG_3722.JPG