Some where on the Eastern Front 1942 /43 1/35 scale

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
After the debate and suggestions to what I could use to be somewhat correct history wise I had decided to use the sIG33. basically a siege gun used to smash its way into defences.
This will have been over run by a victorious T34/76 .

Starting with the sIG 33.
Yesterday I set too, have to say i've never come across a cleaner moulded kit than this. Flash nil , yes nil . the only cleaning is to remove the cut mark
IMG_20190627_135939125.jpg
First thing was to mark up those sprues, i've seen other do this and i've done it once or twice, but normally just start and waste time looking for the correct sprue.

Detail seems very good, sharp and clean.
:smiling3:
IMG_20190627_140016584.jpgIMG_20190627_140016584.jpgIMG_20190627_140032677.jpgIMG_20190627_140048437.jpg
Some nice small parts for me to fire around the bench. look at Nos 12 / 14/ 15, some of the channel in is thicker than the part !

IMG_20190627_140103019.jpg

Sorry it's on it's side, even using this phone for photos has a learning curve.:confused:

IMG_20190627_144450075.jpg
Some nice sections of PE, which I managed to capture and for once not flood with CA. Using a small needle and a drop of CA on a piece of board.

IMG_20190627_172617381.jpg
Barrel in metal , came with the kit.
Not the easiest instructions, but I never find them easy anyway. A couple of lines denoting where the part might go is no help to me. id rather another drawing for the other side.
IMG_20190627_183646152.jpgIMG_20190627_183611568.jpg
The above two photos are of the legs, two parts to each side, gives a meaty look .

That's it for now.
Hope you will grab a seat from Jones Ticket masters, all credit cards accepted.

John.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
An auspicious beginning Dzohn. Been looking for a decent one of these in my scale for years. PaulE

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
As last he's off. Thought the other thread discussion might go on for ever :rolling: Then he glued something and immediately unglued it.
But now I have a ticket from Steve's Ticket Tout. com. Should be worth the entrance fee judging by the start. Good detail although very fiddly looking.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great to see you off and running. Im surprised you didnt scrape off all the rivets and add your own ones :smiling5: :cool: Looking forward to seeing the T34. Now you cant make that a wreck so go easy on the tracks. When will you start the buildings? This is going to be a mammoth project so I wish you all the best. Tickets are selling well with the offer of a free slice of cake. Good luck comrade.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good start John, kicked cat of me bestest seat and no its not a Stug drivers seat (well not yet)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
An auspicious beginning Dzohn. Been looking for a decent one of these in my scale for years. PaulE
Welcome Paul. seems a nice kit so far, and not seen one in a smaller scale as of yet.

Hi John
As last he's off. Thought the other thread discussion might go on for ever :rolling: Then he glued something and immediately unglued it.
But now I have a ticket from Steve's Ticket Tout. com. Should be worth the entrance fee judging by the start. Good detail although very fiddly looking.
Jim
About time it is Jim, though to be fair the feed back was helpful, esp over that mortar. I had no idea what time frame it came from or which country. As it arrived in the same box as the PAK I naturally assumed that it was German and WW2. That I would never have lived down. :disappointed: I unfortunately have no way of altering any prices , Mrs Jones is not a woman to be messed with by all accounts.:flushed:

Great to see you off and running. Im surprised you didnt scrape off all the rivets and add your own ones :smiling5: :cool: Looking forward to seeing the T34. Now you cant make that a wreck so go easy on the tracks. When will you start the buildings? This is going to be a mammoth project so I wish you all the best. Tickets are selling well with the offer of a free slice of cake. Good luck comrade.

There are flights of fancy Steve that some people have, removing rivets is not on my list.:smiling3:

Fancy doing a winter scene again, not deep snow , but the utter misery of street fighting.
The tank will be as thus.

A T-34/76 model 1941 with a very unusual two-tone winter livery of the Soviet Red Guards, in the fall of 1941 (note the new F-34 76 mm gun). This scheme was perhaps obtained through chemical treatment of the washable white paint over the factory olive green.

This looks different from the norm, and has your favorite as well , some camo . I quite like the look of this.
Buildings will start when I have a better idea of the amount of room the two models take up.

Good start John, kicked cat of me bestest seat and no its not a Stug drivers seat (well not yet)

Hi Bob. your ok with the cat, all cats are at the moment banned from Race Towers Gardens as we have a

Not the exact photo or Robin , but last year we put an open nest box on the side of our shed, the Clematis over hangs the nest now and she is as happy as Larry. Not bothered by us, we just ignore her. .
You can bring your own StuG seat by all means, there will of course be an additional charge , just cross Mr Jones palm with silver.

Right off to attack again.

Thanks for looking in .
John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening from sunny Lincolnshire.
Been working with a through breeze in the cave, really enjoyable.
This kit is not easy by any means, some parts are so small I have left them off. There were two PE pieces about 2 mm in length that had to be bent, once glued to the panel that they went on to was fitted they weren't even visible . :confused: . Not for thar size . :smiling:

The fir of parts is superb, I had two sections that fitted to the chassis of the gun , went straight in to the rail edge, so well I had the run the glue down the side to fix them.

I've made one rather silly boob, got the wrong brake drums on the wheels hubs, wasn't until I'd glued them and checked the other wheel offering that I realised. Too late the glue had grabbed. Any way with a T34 sitting on top of you would you even see. Should have looked more carefully.

Its taken all afternoon to get these sections done.

IMG_20190629_173013509.jpg

You can see above C2, its not flat as drawn, just a slimmer version of C3 just above it.
Any way the parts all went roughly in the right direction :tongue-out2:

IMG_20190629_173246421.jpg

Yes that small piece of plastic is in deed a part !

IMG_20190629_173353312.jpg

IMG_20190629_180536926.jpg

Started the other wheel , this time i've glued the drum to the hub to start with, , will be easier to handle when I fit attempt to carry on.
At this point my eye has had enough, time for a break, loads of watering to do , so will carry on tomorrow.

Thanks for looking in, comments always welcome, and any hints please say.

John.

Attachments

• IMG_20190629_173943876.jpg
    IMG_20190629_173943876.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190629_180545611.jpg
    IMG_20190629_180545611.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 0
D

Deleted member 6559

Great bling work John - your modelling skills are getting sharper and sharper - wish mine would.

We've got a Robin that knocks on the kitchen window to be fed. It was really nice to see one of this year's youngsters being brought down and taught the same tricks. Aren't they amazing birds?

Also had four young magpies creating havoc out there this morning. They were tearing something up, which I feared was another bird - investigation proved it to be a bit of paper. They were only playing - who'd have thought it?

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great bling work John - your modelling skills are getting sharper and sharper - wish mine would.

We've got a Robin that knocks on the kitchen window to be fed. It was really nice to see one of this year's youngsters being brought down and taught the same tricks. Aren't they amazing birds?

Also had four young magpies creating havoc out there this morning. They were tearing something up, which I feared was another bird - investigation proved it to be a bit of paper. They were only playing - who'd have thought it?

We have five magpies that visit our garden permanently and are wreaking havoc. They scare off all the smaller birds and eat all their food. We have now put up friendly small bird feeders but the magpies come down and wrestle the feeders to the ground to take out the food. We have tried water bottles and CD's but nothing seems to deter them.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
And he’s off again!
I paid the ticket chap extra for a VIP seat but it’s a wheelbarrow with some straw in it, on the drive, oh well :thinking:

The sIG33 looks like a nicely detailed kit, should make for a great dio. Looking forward to the camo T34 too....doesn’t look too taxing.
Wish I could get some bench time, been too busy in the garden:cool:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
John, when i said a big fat S i did not mean Sig!!!! Off again i see, busy wheeling Si around, tell you what he needs to lay off the cheesecake lol

D

Deleted member 7181

Looking great John. Plenty of detail in that kit but you've got your work cut out with some of those tiny bits!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
I suggest you trade in the Optivisor for a microscope. Looks like your doing well.
Jim
Thanks Jim, never worked with such small assemblies, it's the old bug bare of either too much TXT or not enough. Good job I've got one , though do wish you were able to get a bigger lens than 1.75.
John,
Your off to a great start mate, chair pulled up.
Front row Paul, then you can catch the bits I miss .

Nice work John :smiling3:.
Thanks Ralph.

Great bling work John - your modelling skills are getting
sharper and sharper - wish mine would.

Kind of you to say Peter than you.
The Robin seems happy, we've been putting meal worms down, but the black birds soon have them. We see her come off the nest occasionally, as she nips over the fence..

Some nice micro work there my friend. Look after those eyes of yours.

Thanks mate, I've got into the habit of doing about 30 mins then giving it a rest. The best thing I find is to start to glue up a very fiddly section, then leave it while I have a tea. Then come back and finish that part ..

We have five magpies that visit our garden permanently and are wreaking havoc. They scare off all the smaller birds and eat all their food. We have now put up friendly small bird feeders but the magpies come down and wrestle the feeders to the ground to take out the food. We have tried water bottles and CD's but nothing seems to deter them.
We have a ban on Magpies entering our air space , unfortunately our neighbour is one of those people that doesn't believe that they kill smaller birds and will wreak havoc in a hedge row . She insists on feed a pair. Looking to buy a second hand bofors gun , for them and the pigeons that she encourages .
There is also a ban on cats within. 20mtrs of the nest. Luckily since hers died we have been spared of losing any more frogs.

And he’s off again!
I paid the ticket chap extra for a VIP seat but it’s a wheelbarrow with some straw in it, on the drive, oh well :thinking:

The sIG33 looks like a nicely detailed kit, should make for a great dio. Looking forward to the camo T34 too....doesn’t look too taxing.
Wish I could get some bench time, been too busy in the garden:cool:
Si unfortunately I have no say over seating arrangements that you have made with the ticket touts , Mrs Jones Seating Company .I suggest you enquire with the Devon Branch direct .:smiling3:
Ar the garden , well that takes preference this time of the year .Just too hot today after about 1200 .

John, when i said a big fat S i did not mean Sig!!!! Off again i see, busy wheeling Si around, tell you what he needs to lay off the cheesecake lol
Bob ,oh I see , well I was being diplomatic .:tongue-out3:. He's probably full of those cakes he keeps making .:smiling2:

Looking great John. Plenty of detail in that kit but you've got your work cut out with some of those tiny bits!
Hi Andy, yes this afternoon I ditched a few more at around a mm in length I fail to see the benefits of fitting them as they are so small and detail is lost .
Yes I know it's just gone 0312, been looking around for some Germans in winter clothing, found the exact Dragon kit, Winter in Russia 1941, everywhere is out of stock.
images.jpeg

The search will go on .
Thanks for keeping me company .
John .

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning all .
The least said about yesterday's attempts probably the better. Having spoken to Dude 1 I feel a lot better with this build.
Don't get me wrong there is nothing amiss with the model, in fact the best made and moulded kit I have ever built attempted to do.

All faults were down to my then not reading the instructions 50 times, having now corrected some miss placings I 'm on the home straight. Still enjoying this , my only concern is its so fragile , the assembly points for those wheels along with the adjusters on them are only held with the smallest gluing face. Yesterday one came off, so I carried on making alterations to the miss placings with out it.
Late last night I had nearly finished the build, the only thing left is fitting the front shield and top of the barrell.

IMG_20190701_090039645.jpg

IMG_20190701_090141228.jpg
Some really impressive detail on this, rivet fans would like !

IMG_20190701_090039645.jpg

The handles for the adjustment wheels were so small I decided to try some very thin wire

IMG_20190701_090329891.jpg

This proved to be only an exercise in gluing. Not a good idea in the end, as soon as I cut the wire they fell apart.:smiling2:
Undeterred by such things I resorted to just gluing the wheels on with out the handles.

Thanks to " Hawk Eye " Simon, a man many talents I now have the crew on order.

John.

WARNING WARNING WARNING.

About to do a complete clean of the cave, Management have spoken. !

Attachments

• IMG_20190701_090150620.jpg
    IMG_20190701_090150620.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: