Something a bit different.....Dapol 00/H0 LMS 2-6-0 Mogul Locomotive.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
If I can, I like to vary my build subjects or I know would get bored ridged constantly doing the same type of build so......

Here is the very old Dapol Mogul Loco. I made one for inclusion in a wreck diorama I did on here a while back. The loco went to a good home. I just fancied making another.

So off we go.
The 'Box Art' and bagged up sprues.
P1210411.JPG

1st brush coat of black Vallejo Model Air applied to the chassis.
P1210414.JPG

Thinned with tap water for the lighter shade on the wheels.
P1210415.JPG

P1210418.JPG

As usual, all looking naff until subsequent coats are applied....The brush 'ands lot!

Cheers.
Ron

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Synchronicity! I was looking for something in my stash this morning, and I found a Dapol Battle of Britain Locomotive. I'm not sure when I got this - it may have been in a job lot I bought in the early ebay days! Pretty basic model - the thing I noticed was that there were no painting notes. Not easy, when you're a steam engine numpty!
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
Dave - Apart from the small label, none with mine either, so just paint yours green and cover it in coal dust! I'll do likewise but mine will be black!

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi chaps, Ron’s was basically black all it’s life, though with natty mixed traffic lining, but David’s Bullied light Pacific has several colour options. They were in a couple of green shades, malachite and BR passenger come to mind, and I think some were in blue for a while in early British rail days....
If you are unsure, Phoenix-Precision and Fox transfers have basic colour data on their sites.

Best thing is that both survived to colour photograph days so there should be loads of images around, and with respect to the Bullied WC/BoBs, loads got to preservation....so you could even go and find a real one if you wanted....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Edit...just had a little look around, and Ron, yours also came in green if you are so inclined.....
Cheers
Tim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the info. Tim.
Building this brings back great memories for me. The Mogul was always working our patch pulling both passenger and goods.

I was brought up in Chester and the main line to Holyhead was great for all the top notch locos used in the L.M.S Region. Luckily, the G.W. main line also ran into Chester, so I was able to see all those superb green and brass monsters. K.G.5 was a regular visitor to Chester, complete with her huge brass bell.... I've 'Spotted' them all and 'cabbed' a fair old number in the engine sheds at both Chester and Crewe. I've still got the scars from a size nine boot when I was found wandering around in them.

Once diesels started to appear I lost interest and turned to that other distraction - girls!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Edit...just had a little look around, and Ron, yours also came in green if you are so inclined.....
Cheers
Tim
Sorry Tim, our posts crossed. Thanks again....:thumb2:
Because the ones I saw where I lived were always black, I had no idea some Moguls also had green livery. Presumably the green versions where used in other regions apart from what was the L.M.S.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
watching with,interest hear,have seen these,picked up and put down a few times,:flushed:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Ron
I think the green one was a Western region thing, they seemed to do it with almost everything towards the end...it is a bit like Evening star, a big freight engine decked out in full passenger rig...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just had a thought Ron, might be a bit late, but if you add about 1.5 mm to the frame and wheel spacing the gauge will be pretty much correct (rather than narrow gauge OO) and it will look so much better from the front....valvegear appearance will be better as well....not so noticeable from the side though, so it depends how it is going to be displayed I suppose....
Cheers
Tim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the suggestion Tim.
Unfortunately as you can see from my first post, it is too late as the relevant bits are well and truly stuck together. Probably just as well as my limited building skills would probably make a complete balls up of the alteration!
None the less, I have Evening Star in my stash, so when I build that I will have a go at widening the gauge and hope for the best.

Cheers.
Ron

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cool, it’s a BR2.....not bad for a Rosebud Kitmaster that’s probably older than me.....shape looks close to spot on...
Cheers
Tim