Something quick and (hopefully) simple

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Graham. The 1/35 Tilly. Yes I have built one and its here on the forum somewhere!!!

The canvas tilt is in one part, and the opening end is seperat and there is a choice of an open or a closed one. The engine is very cute with more than enough detail. Also there are many more parts in the 1/35 version- eg the hubcaps are seperate, so you could leave them all off or just the one.

I cant for the life of me se why Tamiya have made the tilt that way and especially in clear plastic!?

They are a rather nice little moter though. I did mine as an RAF one, pitty that tamiya only include decals for that in the 1/48. version.

As for the desert version. I belive it was done in micky-mouse camo as per the box art.

Looking forwards to seing you paint and weather this little gem.

Ian M

F

Fenlander

I did indeed find yours Ian, I will have to get one as I have a really weird idea for it. I will not be doing a 'Micky Mouse' camo, it will be plain in colour as per a reference of a model I am basing it on.

Right, she is primed up with a dark yellow. One thing I am not doing with this build is worrying what the right colour is. I know what I am aiming for in the look of it and using whatever paint gives me what I want.

Here she is ready for a coat of Klear before I start playing about with it. As you can see, even by now, the paint is starting to suffer a bit. The bodywork is all on now but the wheels are lose for separate treatment at this stage.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
looking Ok to me. When I did mine, I attacked it MC style, Painted is as I built then put it all together. The windows where one of the last things in if I remember correctly.

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Now a bit of shading. This has been achieved by using three different colours to lighten it up. The first one was Tamiya dark yellow which, it turns out, was a bitty as they come. The pot is now in the bin. However, it is going to work out for me as it will give a bit of desert surface texture that I wanted. Serendipity strikes again lol

The last colour was highlighting using Xtracrylix German tank interior Ivory! Told you I was only interested in the result not the correct colour choice. This was confined to areas that would have been bleached by the sun. Word of warning, don't try this at home on a 1:48 model of a small vehicle with a .5mm needle in your airbrush lol.

OK, it looks a bit stark now but the next stage will be to use a filter, washes and pin washes to blend it in. So far it is working the way I wanted but I wished I had picked something a bit bigger to try this technique on...... Not sure of decals as yet. May have to make something up. This is not a front line truck, it would not be too battered and rusty so I will be concentrating on light and shadow in the weathering not damage and rust.

S

sprayman

Great tone change there Graham.Are you putting this in a desert Dio.

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

While wondering about decals, I decided to look at the supplied decals and see if there was anything I could use. As it is always mentioned that it comes with European and RAF decals, I was amazed, and pleased, to find a set of desert Rats decals (7th Armoured Division) so I have used them. With a bit of artistic license I put the numbers on the bonnet not on the doors as per instructions. I did this simply because the one I am using for inspiration has them there, but no other markings.

Anyway, next step was to give the tilt a light spray of Tamiya Khaki Drab at about 20% paint to 80% thinners and slowly build up a faded looking colour. The previous shading of the yellows gave some tonal 'texture' to this which looks better to the eye than in the pics. Another coat of Klear has been applied and it is ready to start weathering. First job will be a very, very thin wash of black to lift some edge detail then it will be down to filters and wahes in oils to get the finish I want, blending all the shades together.

Still on track for the effect and look I wanted.

Ray, it will be going on a small beset vignette, nothing elaborate though. I now need to source a desert figure to stand by the side of it to give scale. If anyone wants to build this, I can thoroughly recommend it as a quick, small (just over 3' long) stunning kit.

S

sprayman

Very nice work there....do you ever sleep Graham....lol

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

Looking very interesting Graham. I think it is a very usefull thing to do every now and then to simply build a very quick model for no other reason than having a play around with techniques and textures. I once made a 1/35th Panzer IV simply to practise air brush techniques and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Just a question, as we are all on a learning proces here, do you think the bleaching effect you have laid over the bodywork may have looked more effective if it had all be shot from above?

Just a thought.

W

wanna_be_aviator

I really like this build Graham! Specially the airbrushing techniques you are using which I am sure to pay a lot of attention to so I can learn smtg! I'll be sitting here and waiting for this development, looking forward to see the weathering done! One question though, how did get rid of the seam on top of the tilt? Seems to be gone for good. Impressive job from head to toe!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice,good piccies too. I have a devil of a job getting that kind of shading to show up on "film".

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

Most of the bleaching is on the bonnet,cab and wings Richard. The only 'overdone' bleaching on the sides would be the door panels. Having now applied a filter and followed that by dots of white and yellow oil paint merged and blended with thinners, this is gradually fading. The next step will be to use AK Interactive weathering enamels I got from John to add streaks of dirt. It has to be just scruffy, not a lot of mud in the scenario I am placing it but it would not have been washed and polished much either. The final stage will be pin washing with a darkish brown oil. I will be using oil for the pin wash as I tend to get it all over the place, beauty about oil is that you can work the overspill out with a thinners dampened brush.

The seam on the clear tarp was not as bad as i thought and a little gentle sanding with a very thin stick sorted it out quite easily. It was then given a rub over with a polishing stick and job done. got lucky I suppose.