Somewhere in Russia .... Finished

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Great stuff, Dave.
Coming on a treat.
Is that an apple orchard I spot? if it is, best put security cameras in. I'll be sneaking in to rob the apples for my home brewed cider! :upside:

If it was an orchard Ron, there'd be more than security cameras! I'd have mines, wire fences - electrified of course - watchtowers and armed guards. I know how much you like your home brew!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys. Starting to worry just a little bit whether I'll have room for any vehicles and figures!

I gotta try and figure out how to do the hay field. I was thinking of using my glue gun to create furrows but they'd be too big. Corrugated cardboard would also be too big in this scale. The Terrain Tutor (an excellent site if anyone's not seen him) suggested using corduroy material which would be OK in this small scale I think - but not even this old fart has any old corduroy! I've got an assortment of fibres I bought for a jungle scene which never got started which may suit so I'll have a play around with them.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
For the hay field Dave could you use a thin coat of polyfilla and run a fine toothed comb through it to generate the ridges? Might need a bit of experimentation first, but worth a go....

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
For the hay field Dave could you use a thin coat of polyfilla and run a fine toothed comb through it to generate the ridges? Might need a bit of experimentation first, but worth a go....

Gotta be worth a try if those fibres don't work, thanks Tim. I think the teeth on a normal comb would be too small though. One of those ladies combs with wider gaps would probably work but I don't got one (remember when you used to be able to buy combs with thin gaps one end and wide ones on the other?). I gotta pop out tomorrow so I'll have a nose around in the shops, but it shouldn't be difficult to make a toothed scraper from some plasticard if I can't find one.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
interesting.. really curios to see where this is going... for the moment love what i see.. ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Can't help you there Greg. I have no idea where I'm going 'til I get there!

Dave, you have learnt the first lesson in the fun that is diorama making - "No idea where I'm going" You can now officially join the ranks!

Just try and keep things simple.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looks like this will be the final layout, though there's still lots of painting and touch ups to do. I may even add some more flock - there seem to be an awful lot of brown spaces.

IMGP3667.JPGIMGP3668.JPGIMGP3669.JPGIMGP3670.JPG

Tim: I sort of followed your advice. I spread a mix of filler and PVA (used to thin it down so I could spread it more easily). I got these icing tools (less than £4) and used the flat blade on the right to smooth out my filler. I then used the edge of the same one to create a series of grooves in the wet filler. Not perfect and I think I should have let the filler set up a little more, but I got something that looks like a ploughed surface.

IMGP3671.JPG

Now I got to start work on the buildings. Got a base coat on one and now I've got to tackle doing the windows. You guys have already given me some ideas so here goes ....

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
What do you reckon guys? Not going to win any prizes, but it took me less than 5 minutes to do all the window frames.

IMGP3672.JPGIMGP3673.JPGIMGP3674.JPGIMGP3675.JPG

I have to clean up the wash on the chimney a little, and there are a few gaps in the frames to do. I used a Posca pen and just went over the tops of all the frames. Any overspill was touched up using a cocktail stick.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Brilliant work dave , the windows look fine especially in this diddy scale , and the ploughed field is spot on , give yourself some credit . Are you going to give the glass something like a coat of Tamiya smoke to give the impression of glazing ? You say the furrows are not very straight but dont forget , at this time most ploughing ( especially in rural russia ) would have been done with horses so a straight furrow would have been rare . Its really coming together now , cheers tony

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Dave

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party. This has come together quickly and VERY nicely indeed!! As Tony said, don't be too hard on yourself!

This will look great once finished!!

ATB

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very impressed.
Excellent stuff Dave, keep it up!

Ron

Reactions: JR

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Brilliant work dave , the windows look fine especially in this diddy scale , and the ploughed field is spot on , give yourself some credit . Are you going to give the glass something like a coat of Tamiya smoke to give the impression of glazing ? You say the furrows are not very straight but dont forget , at this time most ploughing ( especially in rural russia ) would have been done with horses so a straight furrow would have been rare . Its really coming together now , cheers tony

What a div - I forgot to paint the glass bits :upside: :upside: ! I've got a very dark blue to try which should help. Meantime:

IMGP3676.JPGIMGP3677.JPGIMGP3678.JPG

I think that's turned out quite nicely. Vallejo colours with Ultimate washes. I really like those washes. They're a clay product so splash 'em on all over 'enry style, then wipe off any excess with a damp cotton bud. If you're not happy, a wet cotton bud will remove them completely and you can start again.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tops marks Dave, buildings are looking good.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
This is as good as it's going to get ...

IMGP3679.JPGIMGP3680.JPGIMGP3681.JPGIMGP3683.JPGIMGP3684.JPG

Gotta give that chimney a wash!

Just the barn to do now.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
.All done apart from the water ...

IMGP3685.JPGIMGP3686.JPGIMGP3687.JPGIMGP3688.JPGIMGP3689.JPGIMGP3690.JPGIMGP3691.JPG

The hay field looks more yellow than it is - my poor photography. I painted it the same as the base colour, then using a brush with very little paint, I brushed across the tops of the furrows to represent any hay left uncut.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Damn Dave,

I'm so sorry I missed this Sir. The scenery and whole dio is fantastic. Ya gotta love the buildings and can't wait to see the water. You may be correct about having room for the vehicles though. The field trick looks great too!!!

Bleib Gesund
Allen