Somewhere in Russia .... Finished

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looking forward to seeing the vehicle placement. 'Twill be the Icing on the cake! Rick H.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Done. Lots of pics although my photo skills leave a lot to be desired!

The Germans are in full retreat. Their information is that this bridge,although small and unable to carry heavy armour, may provide an escape route. The Russians know of their desperation and have prepared a reception comittee. As they do not need to cross the bridge, they have no worries about bringing up their heavy armour. Both sides are preparing for the imminent assault on the bridge:

IMGP3692.JPGIMGP3693.JPGIMGP3694.JPGIMGP3695.JPGIMGP3696.JPGIMGP3697.JPGIMGP3698.JPGIMGP3699.JPGIMGP3700.JPG

More pics in the next and final installment ....

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Last bit ...

IMGP3701.JPGIMGP3702.JPGIMGP3703.JPGIMGP3704.JPGIMGP3705.JPGIMGP3706.JPGIMGP3707.JPGIMGP3710.JPG

Thanks to everyone who has provided help with techniques, and also thanks to everyone for their supportive comments. Feel free to criticise anything you see, I still have lots to learn.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Nothing to criticize here Dave....It's all looking real good. I can only ask why is your German armored car SD Kfz 222 is driving away from the bridge with the turret over the rear deck??? Or is this a 'shoot and scoot' maneuver. About how big is the base in this scale???

Bleib Gesund
Allen

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nothing to criticize here Dave....It's all looking real good. I can only ask why is your German armored car SD Kfz 222 is driving away from the bridge with the turret over the rear deck??? Or is this a 'shoot and scoot' maneuver. About how big is the base in this scale???

Bleib Gesund
Allen
'cos I'm an eejit Allen:rolling:! I didn't think to check the armoured car - still, like Ron, I got an answer. It's just made a dash across the open road from the lane opposite. The turret is facing back as it was turning to cover the bridge as it crossed the road!

The base is about 24"x24" (600mmx600mm in new money).

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I'll buy that Dave, great answer!!!!.....Thanks for the dimensions too. Looks like it doesn't take up too much space…...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice, Dave.

Criticize? That's not my bag.....It's your build anyway, and me thinks you enjoyed it every step of the way.

One epic project with lots to see.
You have covered a load of disciplines with this build and they all look good.

Well done that lad... :thumb2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic job dave , so much going on and its been a pleasure watching this come together.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Great result on this Dave. My favorite part was the gymnastics you went through rounding up all the models and buildings.....the rest is pure talent on your part. Great photo finish to a really nice Diorama. Oh, and nice recovery story on the 222:thumb2: Rick H.

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave

Outstanding work. Very well done indeed. Out of interest what did you use for the water effect?

ATB

Andrew

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Dave

Outstanding work. Very well done indeed. Out of interest what did you use for the water effect?

ATB

Andrew

I meant to tell folks when I posted the final pics but forgot!

I used a product called ClearFix made by Everbuild. It comes in a standard mastic tube, but I diluted it with about 40% IPA (has to be 99.9% or the water in the IPA will make it go cloudy - found this from here:
) to help it flow better. I mixed it well in a plastic cup and poured it carefully into the trench then spread it roughly with one of those icing spatulas I got the other day. My shaky hands made sure there were lots of lumps and bumps on the surface to represent ripples!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work Dave, full of interest and a great tip on the water :thumb2:thank you for sharing .

Last edited:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Fantastic result Dave and one to be very proud of.There are a lot of elements I like within in the diorama but I particularly like the water effects and how you've created what looks to be a fast flowing river. Well done mate.Looking forward to more of the same. Cheers John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks everyone for your nice comments, they're much appreciated.

Lots of things I did/didn't do during the build - sort of the diorama equivalent of missing mould lines and not sorting seams on an aircraft kit. Most you can only see from fairly close, but next time, I'll definitely have to create some sort of decent edge or frame. Might be a while though - I gotta pick a subject. I have started another build (not a dio) which will need some scratchery so I'll be putting some pics up later today.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Fantastic result Dave and one to be very proud of.There are a lot of elements I like within in the diorama but I particularly like the water effects and how you've created what looks to be a fast flowing river. Well done mate.Looking forward to more of the same. Cheers John

The fast flowing effect was really nothing deliberate John. A lucky accident caused by some fairly violent shakes in my hands.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Gerndave... Hmm, Davegern...Daveorgern - needs work
Dave
Thought I'd come take a look over from my thread and take a look.I do like the little details that reward careful viewing - that PzII is in for a world of hurt when the KV 1 makes it's presence known
For about 3 seconds...
I particuulary like the riverwork and the rocks.
Think you're right though about the bridge framework being maybe a bit out of scale
Nice tho'

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Chris. As I said, the framework is from a Faller OO/HO kit so it's definitely oversized. I used it for two reasons:

(i) It's all I had available in my spares box which was even close to scale
(ii) It's better than anything I could have scratched in that scale!

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I seem to have missed all this one Dave :smiling4:

Liking the river and rocks

These little kits are quite good considering the size

Only done one myself so far, the Zvezda Shilka, but I do have a few others in the stash

You asked for feedback - I think the vehicles would benefit from a light dry brushing to bring out the details and they look a bit shiny so maybe a spray over with matt varnish?