Somewhere on the Volga. Summer 1942 by Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I got the figures matt coated and they dont look to bad. Only one problem, having now mounted them in place, I cant send a photo......well not with out giving the game away. So Its the time to start on the base and a few bits and bobs. I brought some lichen to use as brushes. I guess they can be painted???

Trees! Having found out that a half good tree is going to cost about 6quid a pop, looks like I have got some trees to make too!

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ian, I've finally managed to read your G/B thread, from the start to this measly input of mine

Great stuff so far, very impressed with painting and all, keep it up!

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hello everybody!

Sorry there as been so little happening on my GB project. The truth is I hit a bump and had to leave it a while. Then when I had made a great base I found out two things! One; the 'water was not deep enough!' my Jeep was on the bottom and the 'water' would of just come up to the axles! So i made the ground higher. This increased the surface area and the depth of the 'water' to the point that the jeep would 'float'! Unfortunatly this also increased the volume of resin to make the water to a ridiculously expensive amount. YES I was going to cast the water in clear resin!!! the base ended up as 42x42 cm and the water would of been about 6cm deep! To do this would of cost almost a ton!! Still I have an OK base I can use to something else later.

Been making the new base today. only 32X32 with 6cm depth but doing the water in a much economicaly friendy fashion.....

.... Any one tried that clear gel stuff for candles?

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hello remember this?

I have been slowly getting the base done. Or rather bases. The first one was, erm, to much land and not enough water. The boat could just not float!!! What do you do? build another base.

After 1kg plaster of paris, 2kg of course sand, half a liter of pva glue and three bottles of "water á la Vallejo still water" I think I am about done.

I am sorry that there are no photos of the building of the base. I was just pushing my self to get this done and I was in and out of the shed all the time.

My mobil phone could not cut the mustard for this little job, so I grabbed the Canon SLR and took it out side. A nice grey day nice for pictures.

Talking of which, they will be landing in the compleated section quite soon, just got to get them off the camera and up-load them.

Thanks for sticking with me.

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Making bases like this is a whole new world to me Ian, look forward to seeing the results.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian

Looking forward to this Ian and I am intrigued by how this is going to turn out. You definitely kept the mystery going with this build!

All the best

Paul