Somewhere on the Volga. Summer 1942 by Ian M

N

noble

Hi Ian i like what you've done so far very nice again an interesting idea which i will be following in anticipation.

scott

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian

The amphibious truck is looking real nice. The metal coat underneath works really well. This is going to be a great piece!

I've had another thought on your figure conundrum. You already have the ICM figures with the truck what about adding German captives being lead away by their Russian guard. The idea being that the German Recon party has been captured? This way you get to feature both vehicles together.

Here's the set...

View attachment 17135

Just a thought...

Great progress so far

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 25107

MB3517.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks chaps. Not going to give to much away yet. I will just say that the type of figures I am on the look out for are non-combat poses....

Looks like Master Box are worth looking into. I might just have a look at ICM again too.

Ian M

R

rogue-one

hi ian. this is looking all good. i like paul's idea for u there. u should go with that. unless ofcourse u have a cracker yourself which i'm sure u do.keep it up. :wink:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well a bit of progress. Not much worth a photo, so you will have to make do with my rambelings.

Schimmwagen: Just a word to the interested. This little car is a gem. The detail is wonderful; engine petrol tanks, tools inside the cabin area, mesh over the intakes and outlets, a real cracker, so if any one is after a good german stand alone, you could do worse than choose this kit!

Right, 99% of the fiddly bits are built and primed. I have just sprayed the body work and will put the top and bottom together later, before I attempt the camo ( :surprised: ) Why did the Germans always have the worst to paint camo patterns.? The instuctions for the period and place call for dark yellow base, with darkgreen shadows. I need to ask. was the german army as anal as the RAF (for example) when it came to the positioning of camo colours on armour/softskins? Did they have set forms and masks or was it "Fritz heres a paint brush, now get on with it!"

More help needed! Railway scales v model scales. 1/35 scale what would that be in railway scale? only thing I know is HO/OO is aprox 1/76. If I need things to fit in 1/35 what should I look for.

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Not sure about the Railway scale, somebody will know. However, I do believe the Germans favoured the "Fritz heres a paint brush, now get on with it!". To the point that very often the vehicles were shipped in Dark Yellow with a pot of green and a pot of brown paint for the lads to "do it themselves".

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ian, after I built that 1/87 Big Boy loco, I was going to join the G.B. with a 1/35 derailment caused by the Russian Partisans. The loco was no problem, but finding rolling stock in the same scale was proving nigh on impossible, and I haven't the skill or time to scratch build 3 or 4 wagons, so I have given up.

I hope you have better luck than me, my friend.

Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi

Here's some 1/35 rolling stock...

Dragon 1/35 Railway Gondola Type OMMR with Figures - 9115 - £31.49

Dragon 1/35 Railway Flatbed Type OMMR with Figures - 9114 - £31.49

Hope this helps...

Paul

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ian, sorry for borrowing your thread but I would like to thank Paul for finding the rolling stock....

But at £31+ each and I would need at least 4, it's way out of my financial league. Thanks for the info though, Paul. I appreciate your trying.

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Shame that Ron, a 1/35 rail road dio would of been ace!

Have seen the Dragon Locos and they are impressive.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then Back on track (Oh I just made a funny!)

Schwimmwagon is sort of where it should be. Just have to decide if I am going to stick the paddle on the side or not. Oh and the driver needs a top to his head!!!

4X4. Has had the slogan put on, says something like death to all the invaders or something (paul can you get that one clariffied?). The Russian figures from ICM are sweet! nice crisp detail and useable poses. All I got to do now is paint them. God I hate painting figures.....

Talking of which which. Those of you that are either sober or awake, will on doubt count five figures. Jer I know only room for four. Lets say there is a Zil hidden in the undergroth!

Yes he is a US driver, but hej if I dont say any thing you lot will never know :smiling:

Pictures:

View attachment 17383View attachment 17382

So The real fun starts soon, doing the base and a few other "bits".

Ian M

View attachment 25308

View attachment 25309

18072010647.jpg

18072010645.jpg

B

bikerbart

What a little beauty this has turned into Ian. Love the camo, and them ICM figs are the business. Oh have you not heard regarding figures....we are all sending them to Paul to do...not to sure he knows yet though so keep it to yourself lol :smiling: Regards Martin

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
R

rogue-one

yes ian, this is all looking great! the schwimmwagon is super!

C

Cov1

Nice camo job on the scwhimwagen! Interesting pieces youve chosen.

Ade

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian

Good looking vehicles.

About the slogan... I'm afraid I don't speak Russian even tho I kicked off my thread with a Russian 'Good Luck'. I don't want to shatter any illusions but I simply got this off the web!

I'm still unsure how you will feature both vehicles in the dio without a scrap breaking out but I guess I'll wait for all to be unveiled!

Looking good so far...

All the best

P

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks guys. Did the green uniforms just before this.

Paul, T'was the paul in Moscow I was hoping to take the bait, and confirm the slogan, shame you can only se half of it it the photo!!! it says some thing like Cmeptb hemeukhm okkynahtam!

Ian M

B

bikerbart

Ian...i just checked with my Russian Cousin called Beta Hopeitdontdropoff........ and "Cmeptb hemeukhm okkynahtam" means something quite un-mentionable lol :smiling:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Been fettleing with the figures a bit. Given them a wash and buff. Just need a bit of flat coat. As Turpentin takes a long time to dry, thats going to have to wait until tomorrow!!!

Any way thus far they look like this:

View attachment 17550View attachment 17551

Sorry about the naff photos, I think my telephone is suffering from the heat and humidity!

More tomorrow.

Ian M

View attachment 25446

View attachment 25447

22072010653.jpg

22072010654.jpg

N

noble

Hi Ian love the paint on the schwimenwagen lovely camo job and the figures are coming on as well keep up the good work.

scott