Sonderkommando 'Elbe' in the skies over Germany. 7th April 1945.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It's raining, so I'll have to leave 'Italy' for now and start summat else......

The Luftwaffe formed Sonderkommando Elbe in 1945, with the sole intention of deliberately ramming U.S.A.A.F. bombers out of the sky.
In the only dedicated mission, on the 7th April, 143 German fighter aircraft 'engaged' a force of inbound American Bombers. 14 bombers were destroyed through ramming. although the Luftwaffe claim 24.

There were individual rammings elsewhere too. The most famous being the attack on 44-49533 'Palace of Dallas' by an Me 109 piloted by Heinrich Rosner. After hitting the target, the remains of his fighter smashed into a second bomber!

If the above is incorrect, blame the internet- No me!;)

I intend to try and model the collision, or a split second after.

Anyway, here are the players.....

An old 1/72 Airfix B-17, which last appeared on here buried in some wooden huts!
P1280736.JPG

....and the most excellent Airfix 1/72 Bf 109.

Complete with paints, brush and glue. Please don't knock them. I'm perfectly happy with the results I obtain from all three.....
P1300227.JPG

First job is to complete the fighter. Then cut it up!

Cheers,
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Neil, I'll try my best!
I didn't know such a unit existed. It was just by chance I read about it when I was doing that dio. of Ray Holmes cutting the tail off the Do-17 during the B.O.B. So I've decided to have a crack at this one too.

Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It's great to have a mix of 'Normal' folk and some of the S.M. 'Misfits' aboard for this flight. No, I don't know where we are bound for either!

The ushingaroundrette will be amongst you shortly. Please keep your hands out of your pockets as she passes by. Thank you.

Gripan Turn d' Andall (Chief Film Projectionist)

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'll bite.......found a seat near JR and the good Mr. Drennen. Oh, and Gerry.....570 dont' build, he "Knackers" first then builds from what's left over!!......and over....and over. Great fun to watch and Frustrates the Hell out of Matron. ;) Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Update.....
This little Airfix 109 kit is first class (As are the other Airfix so called, 'Starter Sets') Plenty of detail.
Apart from the usual minimum cleaning up, all the bits fitted first time.

The simple engine is moulded into the fuse. halves.

P1300229.JPG

Excellent fit.
P1300231.JPG

Brushed on first coat of Vallejo Air acrylics.
DSC00125.JPG

Note the missing stbd. control surfaces. Amongst other things, these will be 'Airborne!
DSC00126.JPG

Second coat. Brushed on a bit more carefully to get towards a nice clean, paint edge.
I'm too clumsy and find it too tedious to mask canopies, so I'm happy to paint cockpit frames freehand.
The middle and rear canopy sections are loose fitted, as these will also be airborne.
DSC00127.JPG

Stbd. stuff tacked on for pickies.
DSC00128.JPG

DSC00129.JPG

As I'll have me mitts all over the thing, it's pointless getting any neater with the paintwork at this stage, I'll tidy that up once I've bent things, and cut off bits wot need cutting off.

However, I will add the decals before I start serious butchering - and add a white 'twirl' to the spinner.

Cheers,
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Block 6
Bed 9
Broadmoor.
Kentigern Drive.
Crowthorne.
Berkshire.
RG45 7EG.

The bl***y address took so long to type, I've forgotten what you wanted.....Oh, yes!

Dear Sir or ?,
Thank you for your enquiry.
I can confirm that you are all in, not a group, but The 'A' Team. Matron will be able to show you lovely pictures of the gentlemen concerned.
Just turn your head (I presume you are unable to move much and I hope the straps aren't too tight) and you will be able to see, and inform Rick and Lee (Beds 8 and 10 respectively)
that being illustrious members of said 'Team', you can all be able to make a full sized Abrams tank from Baked Bean tins and empty plastic bottles in 5 minutes flat. Yes, I've seen them do it on T.V., so it has to be true!

Just a bit of inside info. for you.
Due to cutbacks, you three have been chosen to try out a new wonder needle that can be used on up to three people at a time. This will be administered by one Idu Chukumupp, who has retired from the building game and taken up Professional Darts, so he is the obvious choice for the task.

Should he and Matron appear on your ward, carrying what looks like a very long, thin and pointed vaulting pole, I suggest you all hide under your beds - Oh, you can't, can you? such a shame.

Keep smiling, there's good chaps.

Hannibal Smith / Mr. 'T' / Faceman / Howlin' Mad Murdock.
All in a black van.
Somewhere.
U.S.A.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
And who pray tell, volunteered me for this "Misery"?........Thanks a lot JR, now I have to go off and find me armour plated "knickers" so's I can keep Matron's needle away from the soft tender parts of my anatomy!

Looking good so far 570.....did Idu learn his dart skills while wiping tables at the Clacker........or was it acquired while chucking spears with the Zulus at Rourke's Drift back in 1878? Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Rick I'm blaming you .
" I'll bite.......found a seat near JR and the good Mr. Drennen. Oh, and Gerry.....570 dont' build, he "Knackers" first then builds from what's left over!!......and over....and over. Great fun to watch and Frustrates the Hell out of Matron. ;) Rick H. "
Think its best if you dish out some of that stash of kit you have so we can make a stand.:smiling2: