Sonderkommando 'Elbe' in the skies over Germany. 7th April 1945.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone.

Rick. "Fun" might not be quite the word. - 'Interesting' might fit the bill better.

Steve. I did my best with the camo., and based on our chat, I hope the damage so far is o.k.?

Paul. Thank you for your post too.

Chris. Try typing in 'Sonderkommando Elbe' in your search thingy. That might do the trick.

The last piece of major wreckage. I think it is the airbrake, or summat like, off the trailing edge of the wing....Help!
P1300296.JPG

One standard 1/72 pilot. Suitably cut up and modified. He might have a bit of chute attached, I'll see........
P1300297.JPG

Apart from a few bits of flying aluuminiyuum, I think that's basically it for the 109.

Cheers and thanks for all your continued support. All much appreciated. :thumb2:

Ron

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Thanks everyone.

Rick. "Fun" might not be quite the word. - 'Interesting' might fit the bill better.

Steve. I did my best with the camo., and based on our chat, I hope the damage so far is o.k.?

Paul. Thank you for your post too.

Chris. Try typing in 'Sonderkommando Elbe' in your search thingy. That might do the trick.

The last piece of major wreckage. I think it is the airbrake, or summat like, off the trailing edge of the wing....Help!
View attachment 425140

One standard 1/72 pilot. Suitably cut up and modified. He might have a bit of chute attached, I'll see........
View attachment 425141

Apart from a few bits of flying aluuminiyuum, I think that's basically it for the 109.

Cheers and thanks for all your continued support. All much appreciated. :thumb2:

Ron
Reading what I've got on these, they were issued with chutes (I was surprised by that, as I don't think that the Japanese were) but only enough fuel for the one way trip - the 'Legion of Aces' were their 'guardians' for the trip in their ME262s.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Try typing in 'Sonderkommando Elbe' in your search thingy. That might do the trick.
(RON QOUTE)
I TREID that Ron an no go it just says cant reach this page
chris

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Try typing in 'Sonderkommando Elbe' in your search thingy. That might do the trick.
(RON QOUTE)
I TREID that Ron an no go it just says cant reach this page
chris
Could try "WW2 operation werewolf"? No, that doesn't work, brings up the other aspects of the last ditch 'defence' :confused:
Try this link (takes you to wikipedia)

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Gerry it worked an i got to see it never knew about this well thay say you learn something every day well i have
cheers for the link
ATB Chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
......they were issued with chutes.
Yes, I read this and more when I was doing a bit of a swat before I started on the build. The instructions were to bale out just before or just after impact! No wonder so few survived.

Also, the armour plating and all weapons, bar the spinner m.g. were removed.

Talk about a one way trip!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi 570.........your air brake thingy is a flap....both trailing edges are so equipped.....not used so much to slow an aircraft down but to increase lift at slower speeds as in take off and landing. I like the idea of a chute streaming out for the pilot fig. at least he'll get a sporting chance. Cheers, Rick H.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Yes, I read this and more when I was doing a bit of a swat before I started on the build. The instructions were to bale out just before or just after impact! No wonder so few survived.

Also, the armour plating and all weapons, bar the spinner m.g. were removed.

Talk about a one way trip!
At least they had good breakfasts!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the input and info. boys.

I've turned my attention to the B-17.
This 1/72 Airfix version has been languishing in my loft for years. Well battered from flying too many missions, gun barrels and a lot more besides, missing, but I wasn't about to spend valuable wonga on summat I intended to wreck, when I already had a suitable candidate......

As you can see, she is a well bashed old girl. I'll leave replacing the gun barrels, painting and extra decals etc. until I've progressed a bit more with the 'modifications'.

I'm going to try and do the damage to show a hit by the fighter from above and on the port rear side.
Here is stage one of the damage. Done as previous with wire snips (Please don't use good modelling snips!) and a pair of pliers. Then added a few bits of electric cable wiring.
P1300308.JPG

P1300305.JPG

P1300301.JPG

A couple of general shots showing flak damage, including a smashed stbd. outer engine and wheel high bollocks leaking.
P1300302.JPG

All the guns missing!
P1300307.JPG

To whom it may concern, ;) Please take note, although I tried to get the fighter summat like, this aircraft's markings and paintwork are a figment of my imagination.

Thanks for looking.
Ron

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks for the input and info. boys.

I've turned my attention to the B-17.
This 1/72 Airfix version has been languishing in my loft for years. Well battered from flying too many missions, gun barrels and a lot more besides, missing, but I wasn't about to spend valuable wonga on summat I intended to wreck, when I already had a suitable candidate......

As you can see, she is a well bashed old girl. I'll leave replacing the gun barrels, painting and extra decals etc. until I've progressed a bit more with the 'modifications'.

I'm going to try and do the damage to show a hit by the fighter from above and on the port rear side.
Here is stage one of the damage. Done as previous with wire snips (Please don't use good modelling snips!) and a pair of pliers. Then a few bits of electric cable wire
View attachment 425166

View attachment 425168

View attachment 425169

A couple of general shots showing flak damage, including a smashed stbd. outer engine and wheel high bollocks leaking.
View attachment 425170

All the guns missing!
View attachment 425171

To whom it may concern, ;) Please take note, although I tried to get the fighter summat like, this aircraft's markings and paintwork are a figment of my imagination.

Thanks for looking.
Ron
Love it!!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Andrew, Chris and Gerry. :thumb2:

Chris. I did briefly consider adding the poor gunner, but I don't want, nor like, to model dead people.

A bit more work on the bomber's tail section.

Although it's almost impossible to make out, I made a complete skeleton section of the lower half of the vertical stabilizer out of plastic sheet. Then, before ramming it into the void, I crushed and twisted it between the jaws of a pair of pliers!

I've also started adding 'Patchwork' painting to the airframe.

P1300309.JPG

P1300310.JPG

P1300311.JPG

P1300314.JPG

P1300315.JPG

Port Horizontal stabilizer next......

Cheers all.
Ron

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nicely done 570.........I'd say you have had more than a bit of practice at this sort of thing. Keep it coming Mate! Rick H. :thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys....
Rick. Previous to this attempt, I've only ever built one similar. So learning as I go....

Gerry. Sorry, I didn't mean to give you the heebie geebies! :upside:

Last edited: