Source for diorama base edging...............

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm making a base for my Knyaz Suvorov Battleship - it's going to be set in a seascape - so I reckon it just about qualifies as a diorama! It's going to be max. 430mm x 110mm. I need edging - quadrant edging looks a bit plain. Glass bead edging , around 10-15mm would probably be right. Anybody have a good source for this sort of material? - I'm not fussy about material, wood, moulded or extruded, colour etc. I've looked in DIY & picture framing supplies on line shops, but perhaps there are other sites that I hadn't considered?
Thanks for taking time to read this....
Dave

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
The only time I have done this I used some wood I got from B&Q that they class as 'decorative timber'. Comes in 2.4m lengths!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Dave, you could check out suppliers of timber doors and window frames as they might stock decorative timber beadings. I get mine from a local timber frame shop. You will need carpentry skills to put the beading together.

Cheers,
Richard

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dave,

How about utilizing a drawer front?
These are gloss white - left over from a bathroom fitting.

Dimensions : 500 mm (W) x 150 mm (H) x 20 mm (D).

Topside.JPG Underside.JPG Edge.JPG

Dimensions : 300 mm (W) x 165 mm (H) x 20 mm (D).

SmallDrawer.JPG SmallEdge.JPG

You can get most colours/finishes from major DIY stores.

HTH.

Paul.
:smiling:

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dave,
If you have any local plumbers merchant / kitchen showroom etc, it may be worth popping in - they update their displays regularly - new designs, colours etc and very often have sample drawer fronts
- the old ones if they cannot sell them usually end up in a skip!!

Paul.
;)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
In the old days, (when you could just walk in to a DIY store) I always kept an eye in the off cuts bin. Apart from good size bits of MDF, plywood and the acrylic damaged lengths of mouldings and edging could be had at a fraction of the price.
Always worth a punt if the chance arises.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
In my village, there's nothing like that any more - the hardware store shut, so they could concentrate on their main business - undertaking! a Post Office/stationers, 2 takeaways, two hairdressers, a white goods shop, and that's it - oh, apart from the Tesco Superstore! Anything else is a fair distance away, and given the scarcity & cost of public transport ( none after 7:00pm ), mail order is the logical alternative ( not even thinking about Covid! )
Dave