Source of hakenkreuz for 1/48 airplane fins

J

jlk2

I've noticed that political correctness, and possibly a fear of not being able to market in Germany, has led manufacturers to not including hakenkreuz in the decals for the fins of many of the WW2 Nazi airplane kits I have.

Can anyone provide a source of these in 1/48 scale in the US or from someone in Britain who will export --- I would need both the filled-in black ones and the white outlline ones.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hannants definitely do sheets of assorted swastikas and as far as I'm aware they will post overseas.

Hannants - Plastic model kits and accessories

Cheers

Steve

J

jlk2

Thanx.

Your answer allowed me to have specific items to look for, and I was also to find them at Scalehobbyist here in the US.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I for one do not like to see swastikas painted all over the place, and being used as a symbol of hate. However I do think it is just gone to far that a historicaly correct military model be it land, sea or air can not be sold in European countries if it has a swastika on or in it.

One thing I cant understand is that as they are "banned" under EU laws, how do firms such as Hannants get around the problem?

Me thinks that the politicly correct world is, erm, mentally challenged. or in good old plain English blood mad!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
They aren't banned as such. I know laws vary in different countries but in Germany a scale model is legally a toy and as such cannot sport a swastika. Aircraft in german museums in a historical context can. I discussed this with some German colleagues recently and they were all quite happy for the law to stay that way and I defer to their opinion.

Model manufacturers have to sell in various territories and I guess they adopt a "better safe than sorry" approach. I've no idea what the legality of selling sheets of assorted swastikas would be in Germany.

There was a ridiculous case here in England recently where a nazi banner (a big red one with a swastika on a white circle) liberated by an enterprising British soldier after the fall of Berlin and given to his local museum was displayed for the first time. Apparently some people were offended by the swastika and it is now covered. That is ridiculous,who goes into such an exhibition not expecting to see something like that!

When all's said and done if you choose to put swastikas on your models you can,they are readily available. I do always put them on. If you choose not to that's fine too.

Cheers

Steve