Soviet APC BTR80 the other two somethings can wait

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Although as some of you know I have a slight bent towards Soviet stuff not fussed about wich era ,box art can also force my hand into my pocket this was the case here the blue and green colour scheme grabbed i had to have one. Just happened to be Russian.
20200814_170928.jpg
So once it arrived other stuff was put on the back burner ,now one of the reviews I read sayed it was for the brave not put off by this ive built Ace kits before most of my builds are kits from the Ukraine so was up to speed with what to expect.
Brave or foolish I don't know now ,I think the body was about eight pieces ,this went together quite smoothly hey ho I thought were in here ,and that as they say is where the story ends. The running gear suspension not what I called it was not a nightmare but was bloody hard work ,I don't think there were many parts that didn't need fettleing this was a pig of a kit but at the same time very gratifying, so if your brave and foolish dive in ,I cant recommend it no more than I can condem it it is what it is.
20200823_144628.jpg
20200823_144602.jpg
20200823_144813.jpg
20200814_170954.jpg
Will hopefully get some primer on on it tomorrow, ,now this is the biggest upset that box art ,according to the instructions its green and sand ,so isn't it Bob (Spanner) that says its my kit and I'll do what I want or something like that so its comming in blue and green. Dave

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Dave,
Sounds like it’s given you a run for your money! Glad you’ve got it beaten into shape though :cool:
I’ll keep an eye out for updates :thumb2:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Not a clue ref russki stuff but looking the business

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
:smiling5: no way is that box top green and sand. Definitely a blue grey

Bring on the paint

I suspect my BTR70 will have the same suspension problems then - goody goody gumdrops

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Si ,Bob many thanks ,one of thoes good job they don't put a skill rating like Revell they'd need a bigger box ,actually I don't think skill comes into it we are only making a plastic kit , perhaps a five bucket rating with patience written on each bucket. I'm hoping it all pops up with the primer coat usualy does i always think it gives you a diffrent beast makes it seem worth while.
Simon there are loads of small delicate parts to each unit ,if you can get your head around the instructions it does make it slightly more doable ,I dont think its their fault more the level they've reached with casting technology ,it is short run production stuff the usual sink marks on every head lamp or heavy molded part ,no slide moulded Nancy boy stuff here but if it floats your boat and ive said it before the choice is vast I'll take it every time and as you say this is modeling . Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Afternoon all ,I often marvel at how thorough some of the chaps are with their routine ,well this is how cretinous I am, put some primer on it at about seven this morning Expo light grey straight out of the aerosol can ,had some toast and coffee ,about nine thirty decided should be well hard by now ,so set up by ten and coated the whole thing with some green (looking now think I could have gone a couple of shades lighter very hard in seventy second I think the smaller it is the darker the shade seems). About eleven thirty made a coffee and back to the dining table must be hard by now so got the science putty out. Afew years back now a few guys started using silly putty to mask up with some time after I tried to find some with little success ,I did get some in like kinder eggs but was ancient and rock hard ,deciding to give it up as a bad job some time later some clever guy introduced panzer putty ahh I thought just the job ,not at that price so looking about found this in the science museum shop (on line) a fraction of the price and never used it untill now at least four years down the line if not more so gave it a go ,must have been done by twelve thirty all masked up a quick coffee and squirted the blue gray at it pushed some mr tool cleaner through the airbrush and tidied up a bit ,not having used the putty before decided to strip it off for fear of it sticking or staining the green so all done before two ,couple of bits broke off but suspension very delicate anyway. So after a busy morning here are the results
20200829_121048.jpg
20200829_130848.jpg
20200829_131613.jpg
Will change it tonally with some filters then git it a coat of gloss varnish or the old floor polish. Going back to masking up who amongst us can remember the old Tamiya instructions where it showed you how to stick blobs of cotton wool with wallpaper paste it worked i did it with a little badger airbrush jar underneath (siphon feed?)and air can in a bowl of warm water kids today don't know their born. Dave.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That looks really good Dave, think I might give that putty a try if I can get it as I have a tank to build with a 3 colour camo and that stuff looks to be the answer.

Andy.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy its quite old and seems to be a bit viscous it spreads if left alone perhaps half a hour in the fridge might be the way to go ,several manufacturers make it im sure one of them is called panzer putty ,the boys im sure will bring us up to speed.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Totally missed this one Dave. You have done a great job of the build. The camo work is a real treat. Looking forward to seeing you work your magic with the weathering

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Camo looks very nice Dave :thumb2:

I have the very same science Putty....got mine for £1 in the kids section in Tesco about 8yrs ago. Still works fine!
The thinner you apply it the less it will spread I’ve found.
I use a selection of round, flat and pointy wooden tools to shape it once on vehicles.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
While we are on the subject of putty do any of you suffer from left over residue? Like you Si I use the science putty but found minute droplets left on the model especially in hard to reach places. Always wanted to use the more expensive panzer putty but didnt want to fork out for it if that also leaves residue??

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
While we are on the subject of putty do any of you suffer from left over residue? Like you Si I use the science putty but found minute droplets left on the model especially in hard to reach places. Always wanted to use the more expensive panzer putty but didnt want to fork out for it if that also leaves residue??
Steve like I said first time used but I found you can use a bigger bit to pull off the small stubborn bits even thoes that looked like a stain came away.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Camo looks very nice Dave :thumb2:

I have the very same science Putty....got mine for £1 in the kids section in Tesco about 8yrs ago. Still works fine!
The thinner you apply it the less it will spread I’ve found.
I use a selection of round, flat and pointy wooden tools to shape it once on vehicles.
Thanks Si i didn't realise it had spread like it did there should have been much bigger blue panels to the pattern ,it was only when I tidied up I noticed ,I'd balled up what I'd used for masking only to find it had formed a black puddle the film the blob sprang to mind.Dave.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Just a quick WIP its moved on a bit scince pic was taken ,all went a bit breasts up had a new product that i thought was going to be a game changer (acording to the bloke on yuo tube ) still have tried to make the best of a testies up ,one of the rust shades looks a bit pink in photo but is not on model ,finished job not that far off now ,not that happy with it but hey at the worst its been a good learning curve.
Dave.
20200906_200410.jpg

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks guys not far off the finishing line ,one of thoes I seem to have broken more off than I glued on still it keeps one busy. Dave

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice work David. I like the camo - nicely done and in unusual colours.
I hear you about the breakages, I’ve been suffering the same mishaps with my latest build. All part of the experience though and I’m sure it will all come together perfectly.
Cheers
P