Soviet BT7 in the snow

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
my entry for the snow GB

bought this 2 years ago at the Southwell show for about 5 quid....been wanting to do it for ages...sometimes a challenge to do something thats not quite as easy as a Tamiya lol..........and as you can see this has a bit of flash.........honestly dont know how well its going to go together

plan is to do a white winter wash...possibly by combining hair spray technique with using some latex for chipping, and then on a bi carb base for the snow.............none of this i have tried before lol lol lol...all a learning experience

View attachment 98947

View attachment 98948

View attachment 98949

and 2 of these sprues

View attachment 98950

34eqmaf.jpg

25td91k.jpg

nn7har.jpg

beecl1.jpg

First Name
Aaron
Those road wheels have more flash than dc comics, nothing like a challenge in this hobby of ours. You can't really go wrong for a fiver. I look forward to seeing this beauty come to fruition.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
You are not alone Paul for the 1st time of playing in the snow look forward to your progress

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
this is a bit like that Zvedza kit i did last year....no pin/hole locating points, all butt joints so theres room for error, getting a few gaps but they have already been filled since this pic...instructions arnt great either lol....bit vague in places

View attachment 98919

2d83xox.jpg

D

dubster72

I once tried to build an Eastern Express KV-1 & looking at that picture is bringing back all the bad memories! It was the only kit I've binned! :oops:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Looking good these obscure kits are a nice challenge I've only ever purchased and completed 1 eastern express kit troublesome but worth it in the end.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Paul. Nice clean job so far.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good,dose not seam as too much filling was need and good work, ;)

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
got to try out my new airbrush at last...........quite happy with it, think i still need to experiment with it a little....seems even valejo air likes a drop of H2O to make it flow....must get some of the proper stuff next time i see some............and i got it a bit thin on the barrel but thats not a problem cos the whole thing will get a white wash camo over the top

View attachment 99439

157du9g.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good will be interested to see how you do your white wash,? :rolleyes:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
looking good will be interested to see how you do your white wash,? :rolleyes:
im planning on a mix of using latex to get a chipping effect and the hair spray technique for the most of it

all a learning experience lol lol

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
i do use the hair spray trick alot and works well for me,

good luck will be waiting to see it, ;)

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
so this is a combination of latex and hairspray techniques.....not sure if to take any more off or not or leave it be..any thoughts from the masses?.....put some cyrillic script slogans on the side of the turret that i had left over from another soviet project from a few years ago...thought it would look good with the paint wearing off with them underneath

done the same to the road wheels so they are ready to go on

View attachment 100247

View attachment 100248

2luthrd.jpg

29ennk4.jpg

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Do like the look of it, coming along very nicely IMO ;)

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
so after a week of not being able to do much cos of silly shift pattern ive managed to get back to the bench today

road wheels on, a few ancillary bits n bobs painted up ready to attach later

View attachment 100953

View attachment 100954

decided im not going to add a wash to the tank..........dont think it would add anything to what i have pictured in my mind

ive also painted up the track components which will be the next job to attach.......had fun with them.....the instructions are pretty useless even if i could read Russian Cyrillic!! lol.........googling pics made things more confusing so i googled the instructions for the Tamiya BT-7 since i figured that would at least be in English....the colour call out was 'old iron'......which sounds like rust to me lol lol lol........had some revell aqua rust which was a bit too red and bright,...added some black.......then a good dose of a black wash (some Vallejo Game Ink stuff ive never tried before)....going to try and get them on tonight so you will have to wait til tomorrow so i can take pics

2zf5uuv.jpg

5bvh9e.jpg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
tracks put on.......pain in the proverbial!.......dodgy instructions and for some reason lots of spare links...any dodgy joins will get hidden under some snow, hopefully.....added some bits like machine guns and exhausts......since i took the pics ive also added some stowage on the fenders

View attachment 101076

View attachment 101077

started work on the base but dont know if its going to work or not so might have to switch to a back up plan lol

2ihpd0m.jpg

2aagjgl.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work, can't see any dodgy tracks in those photos :smiling3: The tracks are rather thin in width, I would have thought a tank in Russia in particular would have needed lots of ground surface contact to get through mud and snow.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Nice work, can't see any dodgy tracks in those photos :smiling3: The tracks are rather thin in width, I would have thought a tank in Russia in particular would have needed lots of ground surface contact to get through mud and snow.
dont forget this is an old school design of tank........introduced in the mid 30's....was considered a fast 'cavalry tank'......WW2 style of tank warfare hadnt been thought of yet......heres the real deal so you can see the tracks

View attachment 101084

View attachment 101078

2qsqrli.jpg

1z15hsg.jpg