Soviet Kliment Voroshilov 2 (KV2) (Abandoned Eastern Front Version)

W

Weeman0000

Ok. So i finished this a while ago as my third model ever which with lack of skill and lack of materials didn't come out quite as well as i hoped. Also the kit was rather hard to build due to ill-fitting parts but it was quite fun and fun to try and weather for the first time :smiling3:

Please point out its flaws so i can do better in the future.

View attachment 115857

Cheers, Jason

View attachment 115856

View attachment 115858

View attachment 115859

View attachment 115860

View attachment 115861

View attachment 115862

View attachment 115863

View attachment 115864

SDC13700.JPG

SDC13701.JPG

SDC13705.JPG

SDC13706.JPG

SDC13707.JPG

SDC13708.JPG

SDC13709.JPG

SDC13710.JPG

SDC13711.JPG

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Flaws is not a good word, it being only your third model I think you did rather well. You do have a lot to learn and believe me there are no short cuts to putting out truly great builds. Scan the forums that interest you and try to absorb all you can, every one is helpful and friendly and will help you along. Oh, by the way, those older projects can always be de-done and are great to get some practice in o;)..................Jim:smiling3:

T

tommy1drop

Nice build and finish Jason, nicely weathered, that's the 2nd KV I have seen on this forum, and it looks superb mate, well done nice build;)

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
You put abandoned, why? It doesn't look abandoned, no shell hits or damage. Just looks like what it is, a KV1 ready to be used.

The tow cables are too shiny and look new, rust them slightly. The inner door has no scuff marks, looks too new. For me, too much rust on the turret, just some slight rust would look better IMO.

Cracking build though, so be proud, I would be.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I can't see any flaws apart from the one it's on , I think you've done very well for a third time build I wish my thirst build looked that good

Rust is good and in the places where moisture would accumulate :smiling3:

S

steve scan

Great build, as this is only your third build you should be pleased with it, agree with above comments, I always try to imagine the scenario I am portraying and imagine where it has been and where the crew have climbed etc. how long has the vehicle been in use and try to keep the weathering consistent all over the vehicle and be subtle, you can build up the effects until you reach a point where you are happy.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That's a damn good job ..... As Jim said "Flaws" isn't a good word..... For a third build that is a cracking job. Weathering is a real art learned mostly through trial an error. There are some on here who are masters of it. Others , like me struggle a bit are try to do a bit better each time. I think, and I'll probably get "shot down" here, that most of those who are good at it don't bother with all the fancy pigments, powders and other stuff available out there... It is about technique and practice.. It is amazing what can be achieved with just a 2B pencil, and everyone on here will gladly share their knowledge........

If you want to get some light rust going (as Si said the cables could do with a bit) ...... Humbrol do a "Rust Brown" acrylic. Get some of that, water it down some and with a fine brush just touch on the panel lines and capillary action will run it along the lines....... The other thing to try is dry brushing.......Get your self a very cheap kit, slap it together and use that for practicing on.

You've done alright there matey ........... It's a big learning curve............. But the main thing is Enjoy it ........ and strip the word "Flaw" out of your vocabulary.

Peter

W

Weeman0000

Cheers all!

\ said:
Flaws is not a good word, it being only your third model I think you did rather well. You do have a lot to learn and believe me there are no short cuts to putting out truly great builds. Scan the forums that interest you and try to absorb all you can, every one is helpful and friendly and will help you along. Oh, by the way, those older projects can always be de-done and are great to get some practice in o;)..................Jim:smiling3:
I did actually plan on re-doing it. It finished ok but i tired out some rust pigment for the first time hence the over-done turret.

\ said:
You put abandoned, why? It doesn't look abandoned, no shell hits or damage. Just looks like what it is, a KV1 ready to be used.
The tow cables are too shiny and look new, rust them slightly. The inner door has no scuff marks, looks too new. For me, too much rust on the turret, just some slight rust would look better IMO.

Cracking build though, so be proud, I would be.
Abandoned because there's no crew and its all rust and dirt... saying that i would love to add in shell damage if i get round to re-doing it.

Yes! I agree with the tow cable and the rear crew hatch being "new", but i keep the door closed to keep out the dust and those germans :P

Also the rust on the turret was basically the same as on the hull, i tried some rust pigment and when it didnt turn out as good as i hoped i put it to one side with the hope of going back to it but i got.... Ohh a shiny! Also its a KV2 :smiling3:

\ said:
Great build, as this is only your third build you should be pleased with it, agree with above comments, I always try to imagine the scenario I am portraying and imagine where it has been and where the crew have climbed etc. how long has the vehicle been in use and try to keep the weathering consistent all over the vehicle and be subtle, you can build up the effects until you reach a point where you are happy.
Yeah that's what i do now, or at least try too :smiling3: but its nice to get feedback and have a laugh at earlier attempts :D

\ said:
That's a damn good job ..... As Jim said "Flaws" isn't a good word..... For a third build that is a cracking job. Weathering is a real art learned mostly through trial an error. There are some on here who are masters of it. Others , like me struggle a bit are try to do a bit better each time. I think, and I'll probably get "shot down" here, that most of those who are good at it don't bother with all the fancy pigments, powders and other stuff available out there... It is about technique and practice.. It is amazing what can be achieved with just a 2B pencil, and everyone on here will gladly share their knowledge........
If you want to get some light rust going (as Si said the cables could do with a bit) ...... Humbrol do a "Rust Brown" acrylic. Get some of that, water it down some and with a fine brush just touch on the panel lines and capillary action will run it along the lines....... The other thing to try is dry brushing.......Get your self a very cheap kit, slap it together and use that for practicing on.

You've done alright there matey ........... It's a big learning curve............. But the main thing is Enjoy it ........ and strip the word "Flaw" out of your vocabulary.

Peter
Yeah most of my weathering seems either not visible or the vehicle ends up looking like its been around longer than the dino's hahaha no happy medium it would seem. But yeah, that was my first attempt, as you can see with the B1 i posted yesterday i have a better understanding of how to blend it ect. Plus i only had a handful of paints and 2 washes, that build had a base, dark wash and rust wash, that's it haha. Now i add brown onto the rust and blend, makes a bloody big difference and makes those really rusty areas just come to life.

As for the rust iv got a revell rust brown which looks like pink, but i have washes now so all is well. If i go back to it ill be attacking it with paints AND knowledge :smiling3:

L

Laurie

Very nice Jason. The light rust effect is perfect.

Particularly like photo 3 which shows the tracks with the fresh light rust.

also the shackles on the photo are so real.

Laurie