'SOYA' Antarctic Observation Ship 1st Corps - 1/350 Hasegawa

C

Caledonia

Came across an old review of this interesting ship when I was googling, and had one of those must have moments. I got the kit off ebay.

A history can be found here: - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sōya_(icebreaker)

There are three versions of the kit identified by Corps 1st; Corps 2nd and Corps 3rd, the last one has the most significant changes to the other two Have also purchased the Hasegawa photo etch but this is for the 2nd Corps, but I don't believe there is a huge difference. Also purchased the Artwox Timber deck.

I won't do a sprue shot, as they can be found on the internet for those interested, below is a few shots of the kit box contents. The instructions although in Japanese is very detailed with ample illustrations, and includes a separate illustrated book with colour photos (Japanese text), which I believe is unique to the 1st Corps kit.

I am going to do this kit before I start the Scharnhorst. DerekView attachment 109542

View attachment 109543

View attachment 109544

View attachment 109545

View attachment 109546

View attachment 109547

K01.JPG

K02.JPG

K03.JPG

K04.JPG

K05.JPG

K06.JPG

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Very nice, I'll be watching. Plenty of "brass" work to go around!! :smiling3:

First Name
Mike
I have this kit in my stash, so I'll be watching with interest. I believe the PE set even includes a 1/350 penguin.

C

Caledonia

\ said:
I have this kit in my stash, so I'll be watching with interest. I believe the PE set even includes a 1/350 penguin.
To copy Wikipedia

Quote.

' Between 1956 to 1962 the Soya undertook missions to the Antarctic. Her second voyage, in 1958, made headlines worldwide when she rescued personnel stranded at the Showa Station (Antarctica) research station in the face of approaching winter. The evacuation did not extend to the mission's dogs, and 15 Karafuto-ken huskies were abandoned to fend for themselves on the ice. The following spring the ship returned to find two dogs still alive. The mutts, named Taro and Jiro, became bywords in Japan for fortitude.'

Unquote.

The photo etch includes these two dogs as well as Penguins and some Crew.

The ship had a Cat Mascot...his name was Taheshi. ( yup, there is a rendering of him in the Photo Etch.)

Armed with all that history forces me to do my first Ice dio.

Derek

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Derek, I was wondering what happened to this...

It will make up in to a nice model. I had great fun with the 'ice' when I did my USS Burton Island Icebreaker dio. on here.

I'm sure you will have as much fun too - In fact, and at the risk of having my coat forcibly inserted upon me, you will have a cracking time!

First Name
Robert
I will admit I'm not a shipbuilder ( through choice as I think it's too hard ) but this looks definatly one to watch as I like the approach your taking with the kit even though it's all in Japanese ( will google word/ symbol check be used???

Would like to see the water effects creation too ( if you go down this path )

Kind regards

Robert

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your interest Ron/Robert. After the King George V and Scharnhorst it will be nice to get away from all those boring guns.

The SOYA instructions are very well detailed Robert, so I don't see any language problems. I will include the dio in my build, but this will be a learning curve for me, as I have only done open sea ones in the past. Have a look at some of Ron's (spanner570) posts, he has done some cracking Ice scenes and I think a tutorial some time ago. Derek

P

Pigboy

Wow, looks like it will be a great build. I'm working on the 1:350 Trumpeter Prinz Eugen. My first big kit. A lot of trial and error. This forum helps out a bunch. Happy Modeling