'Space Precinct' VW Hopper

S

shinx51

Posting here after a long build is a 1/10 Studio Scale build from the 1994 Gerry Anderson TV show 'Space Precinct' of the VW Hopper. The original concept for the Hopper was a Beetle capable of atmospheric flight with low orbit capabilities which can also be fuelled for deeper space journeys.
I have not yet seen a Beetle-based spacecraft in sci-fi tv or movies so as a VW and Anderson fan I decided to make a model at a good scale based on it. The original model makers had a crazy schedule to work within so I have updated it slightly, particularly in the nose section, improve on the body lines where I can. If they had had more time perhaps this will be nearer to what they may have produced.
The original miniatures featured amongst others Tomy Zoidzilla parts here and there to help make a convincing engineering result. Graham Bleathman was commissioned by Manga Entertainment in 1995 to draw up a cutaway which helped but more importantly the 1997 publication 'From Sketch To Screen' crucially describes in its first chapter the build of the original miniatures by Alan Brannan. Still have some work to do including the interior and weathering...

Attachments

• DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 34
D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Colin, very nice indeed I like that a lot:cool:.
Pete.

S

shinx51

Thanks so much guys for all the good comments. It was my first scratch build so took me a while to get to be happy with it. Big learning curve. The basic engine pods and exhaust nozzles were 3D printed though, but from my own drawings, otherwise beyond my fabrication skills right now - rest is all me. Will be posting some updates once I come to terms with the weathering process... :smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Space Precinct, that's a blast from the past - used to really like that (especially officer Castle)

Never realised it was Beetle shaped - wasn't it green?

Nice build :thumb2:

S

shinx51

Yup a few of them green but others seen in red, yellow, or off-white. The most detailed one I have used as a basis for mine appeared in the episode 'The Fire Within' - this is it in the workshop at Pinewood. And yes Castle a lot better on the eye than Podley :smiling3:

img002 (3).jpg

Bill Pearsons original concept sketch -

first_hopper_concept.jpg

S

shinx51

Thanks for all your good replies. Appreciated. FYI The only thing I don't like about the final design of the originals is the 'dolphin nose' front so I 'upgraded' it to the most recent Beetle production model design. This turned out to make it look much more 'insect' like too. Here is another pic of one of the original models at Pinewood - you can see how I decided to modify it as if its the next model along of the same ship.

making-of-still.jpg

S

shinx51

Anyone spot the Duster tank part that the original modelers kitbashed from? And I must add a particular thanks to member here Paul R for parting out the required section from his Duster kit so I can complete.

DSC_0011.JPG