spanner's 1/35 Tamiya Stug IV - Bob's Stug G.B.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here's my contribution.

A simple and straight forward O.O.B. kit complete with the excellent, easy to work one piece rubber tracks. So no hair pulling or time consuming fiddly metal tracks to fight. Perfik!
P1250044.JPG

P1250046.JPG

I'm going to have me some sport and add all sorts of stuff to the model whether it was actually on the real thing or not, so rivet counters kindly pass quietly by..... :upside: I thank you.

After seeing this 'er waffle stuff on WW2 photos of Stugs, in a lot of cases, it really was roughly applied and in various patterns and sizes of waffle, so I just did my own thing out of a foil yeast packet and scribed/ gouged the pattern (Whatever you care to call it) with a cocktail pick. Then roughly cut around bits and bobs and finally glued on to the model.

The hull is loose fitted. The foil looks all a bit cob and naked nude, but will tone down once I get the brush out and paint the disc camouflage, muck it all up and stick a forest on the thing!

I've added a couple of lid thingies out of plasticard, as the kit ones are moulded flush into the upper hull and would have vanished under the waffle. Still to add the zimmerit to these.
P1250049.JPG

P1250050.JPG

P1250052.JPG

P1250047.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the interest chaps in what I appreciate is a rather dull, ordinary build with no add-on's... :thumb2:

I don't like 'In your face' zimmerit, preferring a more worn and used look. Also the offerings I've seen for models is far too uniform and neat. This stuff was probably put on with a trowel, for heavens sake!
Here's the stug with its first brushed on coat of vallejo Dk. yellow. The zim. has blended in and not so obvious, just what I was hoping to achieve.

Still loose fitting hulls
Suspension fitted and big wheels added.

P1250057.JPG

P1250060.JPG

P1250059.JPG

P1250061.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
That zim looks good Ron, top job.

I've also decided to go with the Tamiya rubber tracks on mine, from the pictures I've seen there was very little track sag, and I have a cunning plan to replicate a small sag between return rollers.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's the dog's 570! Nothing like a bit of recycling to get the effect you are looking for. Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your great comments boys.

I love these kits. simple, straight forward, no stress, just happy model making and great fun to paint and tart up just as I like, with no worries about being pulled up for some minor inaccuracy or mistake. not that it happens here on S.M.........

I know some folks lace into these early kits at every opportunity.....Awful, inaccurate, inferior, no detail etc, etc., that's fine, to each his or her own, but spare a thought and understand that there are folks like me who try their best 'O.O.B.' and are happy to leave (For me anyway) the stressful p.e. and complicated builds to those with greater skills than me and to whom I have nothing but the highest esteem. I just couldn't cope and prefer the easy life.... :upside:

Yours.
Ying Tong Song.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for your great comments boys.

I love these kits. simple, straight forward, no stress, just happy model making and great fun to paint and tart up just as I like, with no worries about being pulled up for some minor inaccuracy or mistake. not that it happens here on S.M.........

I know folks lace into these early kits at every opportunity.....Awful, inaccurate, inferior, no detail etc, etc., that's fine, to each his or her own, but spare a thought and understand that there are folks like me who just build for fun and are happy to leave the stressful (P.E.) and complicated builds to others. I don't want that, ta very much.... :upside:

Yours.
Ying Tong Song.
yiddle eye po

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Paul and 453. All good stuff!

I've attached the road wheels and rollers to the chassis. This makes the task of freehand brush painting the wheel rims easier and reasonably straight forward. Glued some bits on the a**e end too!
P1250062.JPG

Cheers.
Neddy Seagoon

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Using my 'Yard brush' as I fondly call my big flat headed paint brush, I brush painted the hull and wheels, then with a fine point brush, I freehand highlighted the various wheel rims etc. I always attach the wheels to the axles before I attempt to paint them. I use Vallejo Model Air, thinned a tad with tap water.

The most excellent vinyl kit tracks I brush painted with Dk. Brown and then highlighted the road contact bits with silver and then I rubbed my thumb right around them.

I've noticed stugs had varying amounts of track sag, some didn't have any, so I'll leave mine as is for now.....
P1250070.JPG

P1250067.JPG

P1250069.JPG

P1250068.JPG

Thanks to those who have looked in.

Ron