spanner's 1/35 Tamiya Stug IV - Bob's Stug G.B.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your nice post and your support Paul. Much appreciated.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've glued the lid on and brushed on the final coat of yellow.
P1250076.JPG

P1250077.JPG

P1250078.JPG

Time now to apply the few decals, paint the 'bits and bobs'. Then paint on the 'Disc' camouflage and do some serious weathering....Oh, and a bit of damage.

The Jury is still out regarding the track sag.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I added the decals, then using a couple of different sized flat head brushes and Vallejo Model Air, I've freehand twirled on the 'Discs' to my own liking and painted the bits and bobs.

All a bit brash, but it should tone down during the weathering process.

It's now almost ready for the weathering etc.

P1250080.JPG

P1250081.JPG

P1250082.JPG

P1250086.JPG

Strange photo colour... :confused:
P1250085.JPG

Thanks for looking in.

Ron

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Very nice indeed Ron! Would have thought a bit of the old sag would be present??

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 Das ist gut 453

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.... :thumb2:

Bob, the model isn't finished yet, and I did write earlier that the Jury is still out regarding the sag...er, lol :confused: There are original pictures of stugs with no track sag, so I've yet to decide which way to go with them... :upside:

Thanks for all your positive input.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Tools painted, then the whole model toned down a bit with an all over Lt. grey brushed on wash.
Some damage.
Then some modifications / moved bits / add-ons, all asked for by the Stug commander to make life easier and more practical - to him anyway!

No offence, but I don't much care for the trend for (To me anyway) excess wear, rust and chipping. I think they all tend to get over done. Very clever skills, but too much. After all, a large percentage of them didn't last long enough to go rusty, etc.

So I'm sticking to a bit of wear, some fender damage (smashed off too!) and burnt metal around the exhaust.

Please don't have a pop at me, as I fully appreciate we all have different approaches to the finish we want for our own models.

Here's my Stug so far.
P1250093.JPG

P1250092.JPG

P1250090.JPG

Still loads to do......

Cheers.
Ron

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking very good. Tight tracks don't get thrown as readily. I'm of the same mind Ron. Most vehicles in western Europe really didn't survive long enough to sustain a lot of wear&tear. I would think the same of the Russian front, although they certainly put more miles on than the west. Tiger Is seemed to do pretty well everywhere as they appeared to be more mechanically robust than later marks. First cuppa ramblings. PaulE

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
No offence, but I don't much care for the trend for (To me anyway) excess wear, rust and chipping. I think they all tend to get over done. Very clever skills, but too much. After all, a large percentage of them didn't last long enough to go rusty, etc.
QFT.

While I think models painted like that often look good, I at the same time think they usually look unrealistic. I’ll never be able to paint like that, but I aim for a finish that leans towards the plausible-for-a-real-vehicle rather than towards the artistic.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.... :thumb2:

I'll wind this up now.
Thanks to those who posted during the build.

Here's a picture of the finished model.
P1250094.JPG

I've posted the final pictures over in '2017 onwards group builds completed'.

Here's some 'Taster' shots.
P1250100.JPG

P1250103.JPG

P1250110.JPG

Thanks.

Ron

J

James Robert Noble

Hi Ron, an absolute belter of a build. Loving the camo and the minimalistic weathering.
I have a tendency to over cook my weathering as I get carried away with it but as you say each to his own.
Great build. :thumb2: