spanner's 1/72 Airfix Focke Wulf Fw190A-8

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It's early spring 1944. The Allied air offensive is increasing.
The Luftwaffe decide to set up an 'Elite' Night Fighter Zestorer Group.
Only those pilots with the Knights Cross of The Iron Cross need apply.

Once there were enough aces gathered together, N.J.G.12 was formed. They were sent to a satellite airfield at Ozel Twizel a small town nr. Butcher- Munchesgladbacks.

The C.O., Major Kurt 'Cheesy' Kraft addressed the assembled pilots.

"Welcome gentlemen, you are the best of the best. I expect you to act accordingly. Our tactics and aircraft markings have been left to us to sort out as we choose. Therefore, to start with and based on your own night fighting experiences. I will allow you to paint your own aircraft as you see fit. Your schemes must include the Balkenkreuz, the rest is up to you"

He concluded...
"So, get to the stores, choose you paints, then find your ground crews to help. You have just two days!"

Hauptmann Hans 'Lottie' Haas sprinted to the stores. He couldn't wait to start painting.

P1230589.JPG

P1230590.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice story and a starter set is a walk in the park for you:thumb2:.

So ‘’Lottie’’ finished by Wednesday 4:44 PM:tongue-out3:?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Lottie isn't done yet, he got hold of the wrong paint and decided he didn't like that shade of pink.
So now he's waiting for the rest of his ground crew ( Zulus ) to show up with the proper pigments to get his "crate" sorted. Couldn't help myself 570, call Matron for me please...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the encouraging posts boys.

Best make a start.

What fun these starter kits are. Plenty of detail. Even the wheels are moulded with a squashed bit for the ground contact. A great fit and so easy to build. Well recommended should anyone require a bit of therapy...... :face-with-head-bandage:
Just over a day's build and its ready for priming -and no rushing either.
There is no decals or detail painting in the cockpit. If it can't be seen, it don't get done. What a complete waste of space and total looser I am!
The two piece canopy is just loose fitted for ease of painting and just in case I decide to include the pilot.

P1230745.JPG

P1230746.JPG

P1230747.JPG

Priming next, then 'Lottie' can get the brushes out proper like..... :thumb2:

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Watching with interest. Don't know what I enjoy most - the story or the modelling. As it was rather late in the war and there was a shortage of 'stuff' including paint I hope Lottie can find some suitable colours :rolling:
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one Jim. Thank you.
Lottie's off scrounging what paint he can.
He's managed to find some primer....Brush applied.
He's not worried about panel joints either. He said you should see his friend 'Mad' Max Maximumdorf's aircraft!

P1230748.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I thought you'd be spending all your spare time down 'The Clacker', yet here you are toiling away like a good 'un!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I thought you'd be spending all your spare time down 'The Clacker',

I do. Whilst enjoying a gargle, I built the model yesterday sitting at the pub's patio table..... :tongue-out3:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Liking the progress so far. I hope that Lottie, left to his own devices, is able to come up with the suitable pigments required. I'll get the next round 570. Cher's, Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hans needed to know what colours he should paint the aircraft, so he visited his good friend Hans Nees and his wife Buums See Daezzi, but she was out getting what food she could.

Hans Nees manned an 88mm Anti-Aircraft gun in the near-by town of Butcher Munches Gladbacks.
He told Hans Haas "The sky at night is not black, but because of the awful fires on the ground, it is a deep red with flashes of light. The ground is much the same, but without street lights is almost black."
He continued..
"We can see the bomber silhouettes easy enough, but you fighter boys are very hard to spot, so I suggest some sort of light I.D. paintwork to the belly of your aircraft."

Hans had to hurry back. As usual the enemy would be on time. He bade his friend goodbye and wished him and his lady good luck.

A couple of hours later, Hans Nees's young wife and child died under tons of rubble when the air raid shelter they were in received a direct hit.

Hans Haas was on a mission and knew what he had to do with his aircraft. - and quickly.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Hans Nees's young wife and child died under tons of rubble when the air raid shelter they were in received a direct hit.
That is so sad. My sympathies go out to Hans. RIP Buums and the little one.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim.

Update.
It's finished!
Thanks for the support along the (rather short) way.
I'll post the finished build over on 'Aircraft Completed' asap

Ron