spanner's 1/72 Hurricane and Dornier DO-17-A coming together

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one Jim. I'm not alone then!

....I've also started the general damage from repeated British (And Polish) fighter attacks.

Holmes stated the Dornier's port engine was stopped and smoking. His windscreen was also covered in oil. This gives me a start re. the damage.

Done with a red hot safety pin. Then gouged out a bit with cold version!

P1270481.JPG

P1270483.JPG

P1270484.JPG

P1270485.JPG

P1270487.JPG

Time to have a go at the Hurricane.

Cheers.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work 570 , I'm sitting in the field to the left of your house !

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
453, if you are, you won't see much. The maize in that field is 7ft. tall. Unless you are in the Maze the farmer has cut in it. If you are, and not out by midnight, giz a shout and I'll throw you a pillow!

Thanks for the compliment too.... :thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the encouraging posts boys.... :thumb2:

Alun. It'll stay dry this time too - Unless it starts to rain at 10.000ft.!

Murfie - Good to read you're awake and the buxom nurse has given you a bed bath. ( Whether you wanted one or not!) and you've eaten some cold porridge!

Update....
Based on great info. from Steve (stona) and a bit of a chin wag too, I have started on the Hurricane damage.

The starboard wing of the fighter has cut through the rear of the Dornier. This induced an uncontrollable spin causing Holmes to take to his parachute.

Each fighter wing, just outboard of the landing gear, have wing joints, where the inner and outer sections join. These are primarily held in place by just 4 tapered bolts.

So, after an exchange of messages with 'Yer man', I've decided on this.
The shock of the impact, outboard of the M.G. ports, caused the 4 bolts on the starboard wing to fracture, resulting in the outer wing departing from the aircraft. This caused the vicious and terminal spin of the Hurricane.

Right or wrong, this is the start of my interpretation of the starboard wing damage.

Hacksawed of....
P1270497.JPG

A bit of detail made up from plastic card and electrical wiring.
P1270499.JPG

I figured that as the outer wing broke off, the airflow might twist the thing and clout the trailing edge of the inner as it passed by....

Anyway, that's what I've started to do.
P1270500.JPG

Thanks for dropping by and having a blimp.

Cheers
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one, Murfie. Thank you.

Great to read on your Hospital thread, you are getting better by the day. Keep at it!

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 It's no wonder I can see much, made friends with some nice field mice though.

453 in the Maze Field.
To the left of Ron's House.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the most excellent and humorous posts chaps... :thumb2:

Steve, without your help and infinite patience, I would never have got this far! Thank you.

I've been bending the outer wing section. I've made a start on where I've chosen the impact area to have been. Also a bit of damage where the wing sections parted company.

Please go easy, as all this bending is in my imagination :upside:.... and not from photos, simply because none exist. Therefore, I'm hopefully free from nit pickers.

Here's the outer wing thus far....
P1270515.JPG

P1270511.JPG

P1270519.JPG

P1270522.JPG

I couldn't resist a 'Play'!
Also, I've also reasoned that as the wing sections were designed to come apart quickly for repair or replacement, there would be relatively little damage to this area. More a tugging apart. That's how I see it, so that's how I tried to model it. - So there :tongue-out3:
P1270527.JPG

Some more damage, weathering, then the last job will be to add a bit of flying debris.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the support, boys... :thumb2:

Dear reader(s), my writing about nit pickers was just a harmless bit of banter, with no serious intent.

Pete, keep in mind I did write that there was still some more damage to do... Wink, wink! And don't forget the flap either.

Regards
Biggles 'Cooks roast beef and yorkshires'

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
From nitpicker's anonymous, If that flap is hydraulically actuated chances are it would stay in its last commanded position due to a check valve in the system preventing uncommanded movement. :tongue-out3: Take that 570!! Oh by the way, that is some "smashing" work on the wing separation.....t'would be great if there were a few bits of flying debris when this all comes together. Rick H.