spanner's 1/72 Hurricane and Dornier DO-17-A coming together

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
On the 1st September 1940, Flt. Sgt. Ray Holmes flying a Hurricane, attacked a Dornier Do-17. During his attack his guns jammed. Not wishing his enemy to escape, he rammed the Dornier and severed it's tail section, thus bringing it down. His own aircraft, being severely damaged in the impact, was lost too. Luckily, he bailed out and survived.

The coming together is what I intend modelling.

Colin, I hope you don't mind...
A) the use of two aircraft at once.
B) No pictures yet. The Dornier is on its way. I have yet to source a Hurricane. I will post the actual box arts etc. of both when in my possession, if that is o.k.?

Thank you.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Very interesting intro. Wasn't sure at first whether it was one of your tall stories, thought maybe a few posts further on the Zulus would come galloping over the hill. Anyway Googled Flt. Sgt. Ray Holmes - quite a story.
I look forward to seeing how you pull this off.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks to Colin for allowing 'Two together'

Also thanks for your posts, chaps.

No water, just fasands of feet of nothing!

It should be fun trying to pull it off - depending on the application of the word 'Fun'!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Oh goody, goody gum drops! Two for the price of one! Can I reserve a seat at the front please Ron - before the rest of the mob turn up?

Failing that, can I bribe you with Eccles cakes?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Dave.
No need to bribe me. I can guarantee there will be plenty of empty seats.

In any case, I've found out it wasn't a Dornier DO-17 (Which I've purchased) that was involved, but a D0-215, so I will probably have to scrap this build.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
All saved, and my beer tokens are intact!

Our good buddy Steve (Mr. Aircraft stona) has come to the rescue. It turns out Holmes wrongly identified the German aircraft he attacked and it was a Do-17.

Back in the game.... :thumb2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fascinating story ron and a great subject for this gb , cant wait to see how you tackle this , cheers tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Ron count me in as well for a seat at the front it will be intresting build to see two aircraft collidein
chrisb

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I can see you are not "hanging about" on this one 570.....I suspect it will be ready by the time the Hurricane arrives.
Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A bit of work all for nothing.....
Having spent a fair bit of time painting the Dornier crew members, I needed to find something out. What I did find out was at the time of Holmes's attack, the Dornier was on Auto pilot, with just two crew dead on board!
Here's where I was at.
P1270236.JPG

P1270237.JPG

Out of some sort of old fashioned respect, I will not leave the two dead crewmen in their seats. As the pilot is well and truly glued in his seat, I might well have to leave him alone or snip him off. I'll see....

Also, as the cockpit detail won't be seen, I've left the internal bits off. Who's a naughty boy, then?

Ah well, on we go.

Ron