Spanner's 1/72 "We made it fella's....Just!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I know it's very early to post this, but hey ho!

Me and the present Mrs. Ron are off on a coach jolly with the 'Blue Rinse Brigade' soon, so here is my 'Crash' SIG build for March onwards.....

Due to Ian's acceptance, I am able to use this battered Airfix B-17 as the subject for this diorama. It has props missing and other bits have been snapped off and lost. So instead of trial by .22 air rifle up the garden, I am able to resurrect the model!

Picture if you will, this bomber has been on a mission to Germany and received a load of flak damage. It has managed to reach the English coast and has made an emergency landing at the U.S.A.A.F.'s 447 B.G.'s base at Rattlesden in Suffolk....

On it's way to a halt, it has bounced and skidded across the grass, demolished things on the way, and come to a stop buried in a couple of accomodation huts....At least that's the initial plan, started by a possibly too fertile imagination!

Thanks again Ian for letting me use my B-17 model aircraft.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 44125

We made it....just!.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Sounds good ron, looking forward to the build. Have a nice hol and i hope youre back in time for Cosford . Cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ey up mate, only going on a 5 dayer to the West of Scotland, to the Isle of Bute with Sh****ngs to blow the cobwebs off!

I've had a look at Cosford and it's on the 1st. April, which is a Sunday. I'll post a thread and see who's going. I hope to see you there.....

Cheers,

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Ey up mate, only going on a 5 dayer to the West of Scotland, to the Isle of Bute with Sh****ngs to blow the cobwebs off!I've had a look at Cosford and it's on the 1st. April, which is a Sunday. I'll post a thread and see who's going. I hope to see you there.....

Cheers,

Ron
Im already saving up my pennies and making a list matey!!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sounds like this will be a good one.

Have a good trip with the tw'earlies.

Ian M

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
This is going to be one hell of a build Ron, going to look great too. Just had a thought, how about a P-51 flying off knowing they got back ok?

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
This is going to be one hell of a build Ron, going to look great too. Just had a thought, how about a P-51 flying off knowing they got back ok?Have fun, John
Thanks for the comments fellas.

John, to do that I would need something like an ironing board for a base.......and I don't really know what one of those looks like!

P

Polux

Hi Ron! Your SIG sounds really interesting!! I wish all the best for this dio!!

Good luck and have fun mate

Polux

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Have a good one have a large one for me while I'm delivering...

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Thanks for the comments fellas.John, to do that I would need something like an ironing board for a base.......and I don't really know what one of those looks like!
You could always ask the missus. You'd certainly know what one looked like if it was bounced across your brow a couple of times! :lol

Your dio sounds good - looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Meantime, have a good break. See you at Cosford.

Gern

C

CDW

\ said:
only going on a 5 dayer to the West of Scotland, to the Isle of Bute
So the plan is when you hit the junction of the M74 and mate ... you hop off the bus and go missing for a few days (i.e. you pop over here for some shooting, fishing, modeling, free food and board etc). 5 days later we do a nifty rendezvous with the bus at the services again .... jobs a goodun :smiling3: :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Had a great time on the Isle of Bute, a real time warp of a place, still in the 50's, the shops and the people, and I mean that in the nicest sense. Everyone was so friendly and open....Well recommended for a good doss!

O.K. back to the modelling....

We've just had a few days wandering this last week, the bride 'allowed' me to take away some modelling stuff, so I made this hut for my crash dio.

They were built in their hundreds and followed the same 6ft sectional design, and were made of almost any timber that could be scrounged. The first were cammoflaged, the later ones just painted brown/black.

The model is made from polystyrene for the walls, thin plastic card for the windows, doors and shutters, and ordinary card for the roof. The window glass is collar stiffener. I added two of gern's stirrers to stiffen the long walls. The stove pipe is a cocktail stick.

To be honest my eyes got fed up straining to cut the 1/72 plastic card windows in the poor light of the camper, so I came up with the idea of using shutters as well. So the building is a sort of stores cum accomodation type of thing.

It's painted with ordinary children's water colours (The sort you get in a little tin) it will need more painting later...The roof is way too light for starters.

The photos show the scaled paper template, transferring to the poly, cutting out and scribing the timber, the vents and producing the grain effect, sticking together, adding the roof, windows and shutters then painting.

I have two more huts to build....well sort of!!

I hope you approve thus far, and I promise I will do a more detailed 'How to' very soon...just as soon as the sun goes in!lol

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 45114

View attachment 45115

View attachment 45116

View attachment 45117

View attachment 45118

View attachment 45119

View attachment 45120

View attachment 45121

View attachment 45122

View attachment 45123

View attachment 45124

View attachment 45125

View attachment 45126

View attachment 45127

View attachment 45128

View attachment 45129

We made it....just! 016.jpg

We made it....just! 001.jpg

We made it....just! 002.jpg

We made it....just! 003.jpg

We made it....just! 004.jpg

We made it....just! 005.jpg

We made it....just! 006.jpg

We made it....just! 007.jpg

We made it....just! 008.jpg

We made it....just! 009.jpg

We made it....just! 010.jpg

We made it....just! 011.jpg

We made it....just! 012.jpg

We made it....just! 013.jpg

We made it....just! 014.jpg

We made it....just! 015.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely brilliant rendition of wood from such basic building materials. Great job Ron proving just what can be achieved from such simple beginnings.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Do you do full size sheds Ron?

Thats a really nice hut that you have built there.

Ian M

P

phalinmegob

looking really great ron,eat lots of pizza whilst you were away?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the comments boys, I appreciate it

My wife is starting to call me a lard a**e, so I am trying polystyrene board for a while instead of Pizza bases!.....I'll report on it's success or otherwise later in this build.

Thanks again,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm having a short break from the huts and am turning to the battle damage on the B-17.....

Just a couple of photos of the initial modeller's snips and pliers work. Plenty to do on it yet, but it's a start.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 45347

View attachment 45348

We made it....just! 018.jpg

We made it....just! 017.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice start on the B17 Ron but the hut is out of this world your scratch building skills are just fantastic