spanner's Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk 1..Now with wheels!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
As Ian says this will be a walk on the park for a "brush master" such as yourself.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Well, that's the kiss of death for sure...... :cold-sweat:
Thanks a bundle men!

Considering your affection for cheapo acrylics, will you be using the posh ones supplied in the kit?:smiling3:

Rules is rules Mr. D., but despite what folks write about these pot paints I get on with them just fine. But I don't use an airbrush. I guess that is the difference. Just keep the paints thin and all will be good. - I hope!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Up and running.
What a cracking little kit. Nice crisp detail and loads of it too!

Early days I know, but first impressions are very favourable, virtually no cleaning up or fitting.

First stage. The u/c wheel well.
P1220561.JPG

P1220562.JPG

P1220563.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.

Yes indeedy, thus far it's a bonzer of a kit.... :thumb2:

Cockpit finished and ready to button up. Most excellent one piece dials decal. Nice and sharp.
The pilot goes in at the last stage of construction - I hope!
P1220568.JPG

P1220567.JPG

I won't be adding any more painted cockpit detail because...
A- I don't have the correct paints with the kit.
B -It doesn't really matter about 'A' because I'm one of those low lifes who follow the creed 'If it ain't seen it don't get done!' Disgraceful init!

Cheers all.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ralph.

Before I do any painting, I always put the model and paints in the fridge for 1/2 an hour. This ensures the paint is easier to apply no matter how hot the weather......:cool::thumb2:

I've just first coated the aircraft's belly. Always lightest colour first. (Pot 90)

Keep the paint thin and brush it on quickly. Then lay it off in the direction of any wind flow. Leave it alone and don't mess with it!
Paint is self levelling and providing it's not too thick to start with it will produce a smooth surface. Even the first coat.

P1220582.JPG

P1220581.JPG

P1220583.JPG

In the initial stages of the painting, don't faff about trying to be neat. Just get the stuff on!
Neatness will come later in the painting process.
P1220584.JPG

As filler can't be used for this G.B. I'm hoping that a bit of glue and the paints will fill any small gaps.

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
These newish Airfix 1/72 kits do seem to be good. My Vampire was superb. Looks like you are well on with this. Great painting.
Jim

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Ron, I found the Humbrol kit glue made a very effective filler. Just need to make sure it's properly dry before sanding back.