spanner's Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk 1..Now with wheels!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great drying weather.
Model on window cill for 1/2hr. Place in fridge. Eat bacon butty.(wash hands) Remove model from fridge and apply a second coat of paint.
P1220587.JPG

I still smile when I see the great 1/72 detail on this kit.....
P1220588.JPG

The two coats could well be enough.

Cheers.
Ron

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Very impressive Ron. I was going to ask what size brush did you use, but then I remembered the GB rules!

Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very impressive Ron. I was going to ask what size brush did you use, but then I remembered the GB rules!

Pete
Like other builders on this G.B. I had to cut the point off....and the bl***y thing is coming apart already! 'scuse dirty nail....
P1220592.JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
As they are both the same 'darkness' the next colour could have been either brown or green. I chose green.

First watered down coat. Don't worry about it looking awful, just get the paint on double quick!
P1220594.JPG

P1220595.JPG

I don't use masking tape. At this stage, if you do likewise try and cut into the demarcation line. It doesn't have to be spot on, just close. During this exercise please don't hold your breath......You will suffocate!
P1220596.JPG

P1220597.JPG

I suspect modellers in this G.B. are getting to this stage and then thickening the paints for the next coat - Don't!

"I tell you, hell and damnation will be upon you, sinner! Temp ye not the dark side to be your companion. Resist, fight back and keep your paints thin right to the end."

Here endeth today's lesson.

No foreign coins or sweet wrappers in the collection plate. Thank you.
All proceeds to Scale Models.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Verily I say thou speakest truth forsooth.
My Vampire needed 5 or 6 coats but I didn't succumb to temptation. I kept faith with 570, the master of the hairy sticks.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim, but Master?
Na, too many fall on their face with that badge! I just have fun and try to do the best I can, but thanks anyway.....

Second coat applied. I was surprised just how well the paint covered, particularly over a light coloured plastic.
P1220601.JPG

I might get away with just the two coats. I'll see when it's dried properly.

:unamused:... The photo has shown up a bit of work needed on the spine of the aircraft, so a third coat it has to be... Bl**t it!

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian.
I've jumped back to this build wholly refreshed!

I've brushed on a final coat of green and marked out the camouflage lines, then added a 'B' where the brown is to go. Otherwise I'm sure to forget and paint the wrong segment!.... :upside:

P1220616.JPG

P1220620.JPG

The colour looks a bit cob because the sun was being awkward and I wanted the demarcation lines reflecting in the photo!

Next up will be the brown.

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Just keep saying B=brown or I can see a Hurricane with blue patches ........ or maybe black or beige or buff or bronze :smiling4:
Jim

This is looking really good, the kit's gone together nicely and the paint looks really good so far

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Ian.
I've jumped back to this build wholly refreshed!

I've brushed on a final coat of green and marked out the camouflage lines, then added a 'B' where the brown is to go. Otherwise I'm sure to forget and paint the wrong segment!.... :upside:

View attachment 337969

View attachment 337970

The colour looks a bit cob because the sun was being awkward and I wanted the demarcation lines reflecting in the photo!

Next up will be the brown.

Cheers.
Ron
Do you erase the pencil lines Ron, or does the paint cover them?
Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Do you erase the pencil lines Ron, or does the paint cover them?
Pete

Hi Pete. the paint does indeed cover the pencil marks. Never use anything else to mark lines etc., you will never hide the lines if you do......

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Ron. I've only ever used the secondary colour, thinned till it's almost a wash, but a pencil is a lot simpler!
Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The weather is s***, so I'm forced indoors.

I've brushed on the first coat of brown paint.

See how with just one thin coat the pencil lines guide lines and the 'B's' are all but obliterated...... :thumb2:

I don't carefully follow the lines when applying the paint. There is not enough time for such nonsense. I just use them as a guide line - Get the paint on quickly and cover the lines up as best you can!
P1220651.JPG

P1220652.JPG

P1220654.JPG

Now I've laid down the brown, and can properly see where the demarcation lines are, the next coat should be a bit easier to apply.

Cheers.
Ron