spanner's Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk 1..Now with wheels!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your support and comments Ralph.

Here is the final brown coat of paint. Try and follow the first coat lines, but it doesn't matter if you wander off course a titchy bit - I do!.... :upside:

P1220656.JPG

P1220657.JPG

P1220658.JPG

Next up I'll inspect and fill in the fine detail where I've either missed or gone over summat. Particularly the leading edge of the main wing.

Cheers.
Ron

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
looking very good Ron!
When I were a lad...... I used to stipple the edges to simulate the sprayed effect, but you would have to do some brush sacrifice for that,and if you've only got the one...:thinking:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thats looking excellent mucker , youve mastered the kit paints , they look lovely, cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks ever so much chaps, I appreciate all your most excellent comments.

Neil - It ain't finished yet.....Wink wink!. And stippling is getting close to all the bl***y brush is fit for now. But the kit brush it has to be.

Thanks again all.
Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Interesting, fun, instructional, I do enjoy your build threads Ron.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian.
If it's not fun I can't work properly. I have to have that fix. Always have, always will.

Small update.
With cutting off the point on that brush at the start of this G.B., and then reaching this more detailed stage I thought I'd shot myself in the foot and have nowt to paint with! With a pile of luck and patience, I've managed to produce summat acceptable from my mistake.

The pilot.
I used the brown and watered it down to get various shades. It's the best I can do - Even his skin is sun tanned!
P1220659.JPG

Here's the cockpit. For the same reason as above I really struggled with the canopy frame painting. I don't use masking tape and there wasn't any in the box either so freehand it had to be! But last night, after a bit of experimenting, I found I could use the sharpish edge of the brush bristles to get a reasonable result.
All buttoned up.
P1220662.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well done Ron. I am afraid I took one look at the brush and the paints and decided my Vampire would be parked and Mr Pilot in the canteen having a coffee.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
very respectable canopy painting Ron!
Thanks for your generous post Neil.
....but photos can sometimes be very cruel and revealing can't they? I can now see some touching up:surprised: is necessary. Should have gone to specsavers (other suppliers of optical assistance thingies are available) I'll do that as the last job.

Thanks again.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Decals added.
They went on with no problems and followed the airframe contours surprisingly surprisingly well. No nav. lights or aerial

I've decided against weathering, reasoning that as a starter kit, the builder would have scant, if any knowledge of such things.
Model left in 'Flying' mode for now.
P1220666.JPG

P1220664.JPG

P1220665.JPG

P1220667.JPG

P1220668.JPG

P1220669.JPG

Oh for some micro thingy, but I'm happy enough with the results straight from the backing paper.

Cheers.
Ron

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
If you do the part 2 Ron, I hate to think how good it'll be, if that's what you can do with the stuff in the box.
Pete

D

Deleted member 5496

Probably missed somewhere as only just joined this Thread Ron.

Are you hand brushing here ?

Laurie

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great result Ron, very nice and smooth paint finish.:thumb2:

Anything planned for this ‘’flying’’ one?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
What great posts. Thanks everyone.... :thumb2:

Laurie - It's my entry to Peter's Starter Set G.B. where you are only allowed to use what comes in the box. Obviously the kit, but also the little pots of paint and the brush(s) that come with it.

Fernando - Fly past tomorrow - Wink wink! Then I can fit the under carriage, spinner etc. and finally finish the aircraft.

Once again thank you all for your very kind comments.

Cheers.
Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just caught up to this. 570, you made that look awfully easy! Sure did turn out nice!

Rick H.