spanner's ARMA 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk. 1.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
As some folks on here will know, I was going to wreck this as part of my Dornier/Hurricane 'Coming together' on Colin's B.O.B, G.B.
On opening the box, I've discovered it's far too good a kit to partially destroy, so I'm going to build this separately, and most importantly, undamaged and for Murfie.

P1270404.JPG

P1270403.JPG

Cheers all.
Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good call Ron. I thought it looked like a very nice kit when you posted a piccy in your other thread.

D

Deleted member 7917

They're really good kits ... very underrated. I'll be very interested to follow this build from the hospital bed. At the moment I'm on hold waiting for a rehab bed as the docs have finished with me medically and its only the physical losses that need attention. We're getting there. I'll keep you posted.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent.

Thank you Ian. I accept!......... :thumb2:

Ron

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yes, yes, park me next to JR, if you be so kind. Will there be refreshments and I see from the pic. Ian posted that our Mr. Bader is a might handicapped.....I suspect a little Tammy extra thin will have him back on the active flight roster ASAP. Tip 'O the Hat to Ian for his generosity.........I can't wait to get old and infirm so folks'll be kind to me :tongue-out3:. All good fun, looking forward to see how you carve this one up.
Rick H.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think the pilot is supposed to be Bob Stanford Tuck, who definitely retained both legs.

It's his aeroplane and there is an admittedly not very good picture of him on the box ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone..... :thumb2:

First build impression? This really is a very nice kit. Nice detail, good fit so far, and coupled with easy to follow, very clear, yet minimal instructions - No unnecessary twaddle with millions of dots and arrows!

Here's progress thus far....

Arma have you make up the complete U/C and cockpit floor etc., and then fit the one piece lower wing section up and over it all.

P1270405.JPG

P1270406.JPG

No one piece tub to make. Once the two side members are fitted, there is just a single cross member, the pilot's seat and bulkhead to fit when the two fuse. halves are joined together
P1270407.JPG

P1270409.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Never heard of Arma Models but this looks a nice kit. Looking forward to it.
The kit from Ian looks more suitable for wrecking. Nice gesture from him :thumb2:
Jim

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
:thumb2:Top choice old bean , it looks a beautiful kit . The cockpit looks excellent . The Arma kits are superbly detailed , their yak 1 even has readable writing on the tyre sidewalls . Top marks to Ian for the generous donation too:thumb2:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice kit, and looking jolly good in your hands.

Sir Sydney Camm, CBE, FRAeS.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice 570, most impressed.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great choice to keep it in one piece Ron and a nice interior work so far.

If I can give a tip, make sure all contact areas on the parts are clean, most parts have a very tight fit as I found out on mine.
Have fun building :thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the posts and hints, chaps. All appreciated.

Murfie - Try lying on a buxom nurse!

Strange having the under carriage legs fixed at the start of the build. I haven't knocked them off - Yet!

What I did find straight off, and to sort of confirm Fernando's observation, is the very tight fit of the parts, particularly the location pins/holes. The general fit is spot on, with very little cleaning up to do. But those locating things act like a snap-on kit! Once in, are a b****r to prise apart. I made life easier by simply snipping off all of the locating pins and adopting that well tried and tested method 'Slide and Slither'. Straight forward, and due to the excellent fit, easy to do. I recommend this to anyone making one of these great kits.

Nearly ready for the brushing on the belly of the aircraft, Vallejo Air 'Sky Type S'

A bit of green overspill, but with brush painting, it doesn't matter....
P1270411.JPG

As with the rest of the aircraft, some very nice detail.
P1270412.JPG

P1270416.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
By far the best method 57O !