spanner's ARMA 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk. 1.

D

Deleted member 7917

Must be something wrong with me but the former seems the more practical........

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Must be something wrong with me but the former seems the more practical........

Practical yes - but nowhere near as much fun! Unless of course you're absolutely desperate to get the kit finished for some sort of deadline, but even then you could use my approach to deadlines.

I just love the 'whooshing' noise they make as they go past me!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good Crack, boys!

I've brushed on two coats of Vallejo Model Air 'Sky Type 2' to the underside of the aircraft. I don't do panel lines. A goodly number of models I've seen where this has been applied first, end up with the effect being far too heavy or even totally obliterated by subsequent coats of paint. If ever I find my models might benefit from it, I can add the effect to my liking after the model is painted.....

But, as the actress said to the Bishop "You've paid for it, so it's up to you what you do with it!

Here's the stage pictures.

First coat, slightly thinned with tap water, brushed over the raw grey plastic.

Work from the middle of the surfaces outwards. Not vicky verky, or you will get ridges of paint on the underside edges. Finally, lay the paint off in the direction of the airflow, not along, the wings.
P1270428.JPG

Final coat.....
P1270431.JPG

Don't worry about the paint getting into the wheel wells a tad, or going over demarcation lines with the lighter underside colour. Just get the paint on double quick, feather the paint off, making sure no ridges are left behind, Then leave well alone! The neatness starts later and when the darker, upper surface colours are added.
Remember - Dark over light, works out right.... :thumb2:

By the way, Matron is on her way to clean my finger nails. I do hope she has put a fresh blade in her scalpel!

P1270435.JPG

Lots of love.

Elsie Macgill
Canadian Car and Foundary.
Fort William
Ontario
Canada.

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian.

Chaps, it's worth Googling Elsie 'Queen of the Hurricanes' Macgill. A very clever woman, and very important in the development and production of the Hurricane.

Anyroad, here is some progress.

There is no pilot supplied with the kit. Luckily, I had one in my spares box.
I think he needs a bit more pink on his mush!

P1270442.JPG

The camouflage.
First, a coat of RAF dk. green Vallejo Air brushed on. I realise I'm getting repetitive, but expect streaking with the first, and sometimes the second coat, especially over a light colour (grey plastic fr'instance)
P1270437.JPG

Second and final coat.
P1270444.JPG

Although the green and brown are both dark colours, I prefer the green as the first colour applied, because for some reason, out of the two, it shows up the squiggly, wiggly, giggly camouflage pencil lines I draw on the model the best of the two.

Next, the marking out, then the brown applied.

Cheers and thanks for looking.

Elsie's dad. (Dec.)

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ron,
interesting to see your technique - compared to the way I did my Defiant. I used an overall grey primer then the underside in Sky
I did debate about whether to use green, or earth as the upper basecoat, ended up with earth! The primer allowed me to use only one coat of the paints. I must admit I also use the primer to show up any surface faults & deal with them before proceeding. Masking is easier on a 1/48 model, I wouldn't care to do it in 1/72!
I have a Arma Hobby 'Iskra' in the stash, that looks very good too!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Looking great and can tell you're impressed with the kit.
All the talk of sliding and slithering with a buxom nurse made me think that I'd accidentally logged onto my other favourite website :rolling:
Jim

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Ron
All the talk of sliding and slithering with a buxom nurse made me think that I'd accidentally logged onto my other favourite website :rolling:
Jim

Don't start posting on the wrong site Jim! We're crazy enough as it is without being subjected to your fantasies!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I got a couple of old 1/72 kits. Methinks I'll do a bit of practising with a hairy stick - maybe if I live long enough I'll eventually get the hang of it!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Ron
Jim
That's quite a good site Jim, its run by Matons sister, Nancy the Latex Nurse.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the most excellent input boys....
I won't bore you chaps with another full blown 'How to'. Suffice to write it's the same tried and tested method I used on my recent Lancaster Bomber build.

I've penciled on the squiggles and brushed on the Dk. Brown.
This first, wishy washy coat is just so I can see the demarcation lines a bit better, and to obliterate the pencil lines.
P1270450.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've been quietly getting on with this.
A lovely kit to work with, highly recommended

The camouflage completed and ready for the 'bits'. All brush painted freehand with Vallejo Model Air.
P1270454.JPG

Bits added and ready for the decals. a bit of paint here and there, and weathering etc. I couldn't resist a bit of scratching of the leading edge....
P1270466.JPG

P1270465.JPG

I can't vouch for other kits from this manufacturer, and I couldn't give a s***f for 'rivet counters accuracy, but I do know this Hurricane went together perfectly.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Lovely job.
It looked good before you started but it looks even better now.
Cheers
P.W.S 'George' Bulman C.B.E.,M.C.,A.F.C.