spanner's 'Big and Mean' Meng Toon King Tiger Tank.

D

Deleted member 5819

Toon Tips

Hi Ron, the only downside is that dry fitting is a problem as once the two parts are together they are some times very hard to separate. I soon learnt that early on with the toon tanks, I should have mentioned it, far be it for me to tell any of you how to build but a quick sand around the connecting pins and you can get them apart again without damage, the other tip is to cut 3/5mm of the smaller connecting pin the male one, that is best one I have found.

I would also recommend that you thoroughly wash the tank tracks, on the last two toons thay were very oily and even the sprues had a slight oily feel.

I haven't come across a glue that won't glue these together yet and I glue everything on.

Pete.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm standing well back, just in case there is any hurling.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Although I've been charging around like a headless chicken from build to build trying to get the 'Back Log' out of the way before I can get to grips with a build I've been planning, I've still managed to squeeze in a bit of build time for this G.B.

Sprue shot.

The start. Good fun and relaxing too.

I took note of Pete's excellent advise, but instead of reducing the size of the locating pins I snipped everything clean off, even the ones in the turret. The joining position was spot on and wouldn't have needed them in the first place. So snip away boys!

You will probably have noticed the disgusting paintwork. I'm going to brush paint the tank in Vallejo Air Panzer Dk. Yellow and then I'm going for the 'Disk' camo.

First brush coat. Not a pretty sight.

Second and possibly the final coat. All loose fitted.

Cheers.
Ron

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ron
How do you manage to loose fit that and paint it ?
Confused of Stamford .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dear C of S.
I painted the last coat of paint on the three separate pieces. The fit is that good that once the paint dried I simply slotted the bits together and bingo, pictures tooked!

Hopefully I'll glue them all toget... Hello Matron, my goodness is it 10 o'clock turned already? Hang on a mo' that's not Horlicks and yes I know other beverages are available, but that stuff is green, and why have you brought two nurses with you?
If you think for one minute you're going to get that muck down my throat, you can th..........ZZZZZZZ

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dear C of S.
I painted the last coat of paint on the three separate pieces. The fit is that good that once the paint dried I simply slotted the bits together and bingo!

Hopefully I'll glue them all toget... Hello Matron, my goodness is it 10 o'clock turned already? Hang on a mo' that's not Horlicks and yes I know other beverages are available, but that stuff is green, and why have you brought two nurses with you?
If you think for one minute you're going to get that muck down my throat, you can th..........ZZZZZZZ
Thank you kind Sir.
I do hope that bevage that Matron brought wasn't passed it's use by date, if you turn green in the morning we will know why .

Most things that I build would have fallen apart without glue , in fact some do fall apart with glue .:smiling5:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Had a good morning's graft dropping a big wobbly tree that, after the gales the other day, was threatening to smash our bungalow in half with the next good blow!

As a reward I've been allowed the afternoon in my den. So.......

I've fixed the tracks and most bits on the tank. Enough to see just where to paint the disc camo.

Here's a little tip for those making a tank for this G.B.
Snip off half the cogs on the drive sprockets. Leave them on and the tracks won't sit flush with the forward facing wheel rims. In other words the sprockets can't push through the track holes 'cos there aint none! The cogs left on will be seen as usual. This proved a lot easier and probably neater than trying to make holes in the soft rubber of the tracks. It might not apply to all Toon tanks, but it did to this one of mine.

Gun and spotlight left off for now.

Bits still to paint. When I do, it will hopefully produce some nice subtle shade differences. Then the decals before I tackle the cammo.
Finally I will paint in the detail.

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Sorry to hear that matron is still forcing the green stuff down your throat. It is for your own good however. Just imagine what your behaviour could be like without it!
Tank is looking good. These MENG Toon kits are certainly well engineered. It's like Lego - click and fit.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
This morning I was all set to do the disc camouflage when I realised I still had to add the decals and detail painting.........:upside:

Now it's ready. I've left off certain bits to make the camo. application a bit easier. All squeeky clean just yet. Even the hawser cables look like Hoover pipes ( Other vacuum cleaners are available)

I've dumped some of the decals and had me some fun instead.....:thumb2:

Cheers.
Ron

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Ron looking good, will be watching the disc camo part with interest to see how you do yours, I did a toon Stamtiger last year in disc camo so will be good see the two different results.

Pete.