spanner's Tamiya 1/35 StuG IV now with those big metal side thingies.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Bob, I hope you don't mind the inclusion of this small, quicky add-on and being separate from my first StuG build thread?

If you would prefer, I'll move it over to the original.

The side bits obviously came with the kit, so rather than have them languishing in the spares box, I've decided rather late in the day to fix them onto my already completed StuG.

The shape, different bits missing and the paint scheme for these things was vast, so yet again I'm on safe ground..... :thumb2:

I've started off by cutting the bottom edges all kind'a pretty and rounded. Brush painted as usual, with Vallejo Model Air.
P1250114.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Using a 'Turk's Head' brush, I just managed to get the 'disc' camouflage brushed on before 'Bad light stopped play', and I was forced to up stumps and retreat to the pavilion bar!.... :thumb2: :upside:

Wacky or what!?
P1250115.JPG

Next I'll add some weathering, cut the plates into the individual pieces and finally fit the various hanging brackets to the back of them.

Cheers.
Ron

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob, I hope you don't mind the inclusion of this small, quicky add-on and being separate from my first StuG build thread?

The side bits obviously came with the kit, so rather than have them languishing in the spares box, I've decided rather late in the day to fix them onto my already completed StuG.

The shape, different bits missing and the paint scheme for these things was vast, so yet again I'm on safe ground..... :thumb2:

Here they are with the bottom edges all pretty and rounded. Brush painted as usual, with Vallejo Model Air.
View attachment 367503

Cheers.
Ron

Here they are with the bottom edges all pretty and rounded. Brush painted as usual, with Vallejo Model Air.
View attachment 367503

Cheers.
Ron
Not a problem Ron
Virtually all StuG 111's and IV used these side skirts

Looking the business sir

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Bob, just thought it best to clear this 'mini build' with you first.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Morning Bob.
Here's the next stage.
I brush painted on some brown for the dirt at the bottom and then added an all over coat of beige. When the paint dried, I dragged some sandpaper along the things to add scratches.
P1250117.JPG

Next I'll separate the individual sections.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
No good, bad, indifferent or even "Ron, that's bl***y awful!"?
Not to worry... :sad-face:

I've cut up them both up using a Stanley knife. (Other Stanley's are available, but under a different name)
P1250118.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bugger all wrong with that Ron

Turks head brush, used by those Turkish barbers which are everwhere??

D

Deleted member 6559

Good Ron - sorry for not responding earlier. I always like your low-tech approach; it always works.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks ever so much boys...Me happy!

Paul. if you take a normal round pointed modelling paint brush and cut the bristles almost down to the metal ferrule, that is a 'Turk's Head' brush.

Just type 'Turks Head Brush' into your search engine and you'll see loads of images of them.

When I was an apprentice joiner way back in the early '60's, I often used such a brush, although many times bigger (around 3" across) for any thickly applied paint, such as the bitumen under roofing felt etc. I have one in my garage and they are still available from Builders Merchants.

The bristles resembled a Turks haircut, hence the genuine name for the brush. I suppose nowadays some prat would call such a thing Racist. The saddos!

Thanks again for all your input boys.... :thumb2:

Ron

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks ever so much boys...Me happy!

Paul. if you take a normal round pointed modelling paint brush and cut the bristles almost down to the metal ferrule, that is a 'Turk's Head' brush.

Just type 'Turks Head Brush' into your search engine and you'll see loads of images of them.

When I was an apprentice joiner way back in the early '60's, I often used such a brush, although many times bigger (around 3" across) for any thickly applied paint, such as the bitumen under roofing felt etc. I have one in my garage and they are still available from Builders Merchants.

The bristles resembled a Turks haircut, hence the genuine name for the brush. I suppose nowadays some prat would call such a thing Racist. The saddos!

Thanks again for all your input boys.... :thumb2:

Ron
Cheers Ron I know what you mean now just never heard it called that before. Could you call it a brush of otterman extraction

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
As Peter says 'like your low tech approach'. Great looking big metal side thingies. Now off to Google 'Turk's Head' brush.
Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Google does throw up some strange results. Mind you the stuff you appropriate for your modelling ...... :rolling:
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 .
Could you please remit an application to the Ward control as per rules before you confuse half of the forum in changing your avatar. Its no wonder you had so few replies at first,

I though The Japanese whaling fleet had joined the forum.

Re the side skirts, look good , nice weathering looks most effective.

453 Race.
Bed 9
Ward for the Pyromania Suffer .
Brampton Hospital .

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I though The Japanese whaling fleet had joined the forum.

453 Race.
Bed 9
Ward for the Pyromania Suffer .
Brampton Hospital .

Japanese?
For your information the ship depicted in my dio. is the well known (Except in Lincs) U.S. Whaler, Charles W. Morgan. Her crew are trying to show us the age old art of 'Whale Splitting',
and Moby Dick's brother is giving them a good stuffing!

My stug is now finally completes and is over in Completed Group Builds 2017 onwards. Thanks to those who kept me going with this. Much appreciated.

Here's a couple of 'taster' pictures.
P1250124.JPG

P1250122 (2).JPG
Your Servant.
Capt. Ahab.
Polishing his stump on a Lincolnshire beach.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Japanese?
For your information the ship depicted in my dio. is the well known (Except in Lincs) U.S. Whaler, Charles W. Morgan. Her crew are trying to show us the age old art of 'Whale Splitting',
and Moby Dick's brother is giving them a good stuffing!

Your Servant.
Capt. Ahab.
Polishing his stump on a Lincolnshire beach.
Capt Ahab, yes fortunately we in Lincs see very few whaling vessels on the river Welland. The miss identity was caused purely because seaman Smith was looking thro his binoculars the wrong way round, and we wrongly assumed as it was a Japanese boat wetness days they are one of the only countries to do this .:poop:
453 Race .