spanner's Tamiya 1/35 T 62-A

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's looks really good 570 and done with out a mallet !

453 .

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Ron, Off and running again I see....You sure don't waste any time either. Probably be done by Friday huh??? Tracks look good and should stay together. Back in the day, I used a heated flat head nail to melt the pins. never understood the screwdriver thing.........

Na Zdorovie (Prost)
Allen(ski) Pres.
RBB Factory #69

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Allen.
Unfortunately, I don't have any flat headed nails or pins small enough to fit between the various track mouldings without causing too much damage, so a precision screwdriver it had to be.....
Thanks for the input. :thumb2:

I've brushed on a first coat of Vallejo Air.
Nice tonal differences straight off the brush. ;)

P1320352.JPG

...and a second and final coat of the first cammo. colour.
P1320353.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Looks good. Your method of "multiple, thin coats" certainly works. Looking forward to the rest of the camo.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice work Ron, colour is bringing her together well, though I’m a bit disconcerted that an old chippy like you doesn’t have any suitable nails knocking about :surprised:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 Good start, quite liked that first coat, looked like weathering from the sun.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very, very nicely indeed Ron.

Very well done so far.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Bit of an update...

All stuck together. Brushed on first cammo. colour and waiting for the second to be drawn on and painted.

Remember boys and girls, dark over light get's it right. Hopefully! ;)

Tracks glued to wheels with polystyrene glue.

Missed bits, smudges, streaks and patchy painting are to be expected and indeed, positively encouraged. (Weathering as we go :thumb2:)
P1320540.JPG

P1320541.JPG

P1320544.JPG

P1320545.JPG

I love vinyl tracks. Melt the joint pins and stretch them on. Job done. Straightforward with no fiddly bits, extra expense ( cos they come 'free' in the box), time wasting, traumas, sweat and swearing, shaking hands, anxiety, sleepless nights, drinks of cocoa at 2am., crying and yes, even a nose bleed! No thanks, I'll stick with wot's in the box.....
One coat of Vallejo 'Dirt' on the tracks and a dry brushing of Vallejo 'Aluminium' highlights. All still to be weathered on completion. Joint nicely hidden.

P1320546.JPG

P1320547.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Tracks look good Ron. Have you glued the top run to the wheels?
Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Pete.

I've still got to muck things up, but I'll do all that when I get my yard brush out, as I lovingly call my large flat headed brush.

Yes indeed the tracks are glued to the wheels, top and bottom. I added the glue and then wedged paint brush handles 'tween the track top and hull.

Cheers.
Ron

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Ron looks very good. I’m with you on the vinyl tracks much easier I do prefer them over the link.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Andrew and Lee.
Anything for an easy life Lee.;)

This afternoon I marked out the darker camouflage and brushed on a first coating of dk. brown. Yuk!

If doing this sort of thing, don't try and be neat and follow your markings. Get as close as you can, but that's it. They are just a guide. The main aim is to get the paint on as quickly and as flat as you can whilst at the same time starting to obliterate those lines.

Remember. Always keep the paint thin when using a brush and don't worry just how awful the first and possibly second coat looks. Whatever happens don't thicken the paint!

Each coat will get better. Trust and believe in me, I'm a Brain Surgeon of some repucke.

P1320551.JPG

P1320552.JPG

P1320553.JPG

P1320554.JPG

P1320555.JPG

P1320556.JPG

...then I went and dropped the thing and the glued track parted from a couple of the wheels. Happy days!

I'll hopefully second coat the brown tomorrow.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.

Paul. I haven't the skill, eyesight or patients to do the amazing 'Scratchery' you and others are capable of, so I usually have to do my best with wot's in the box.
But on this occasion.....;)

Graeme. These cheapo Tamiya kits are great fun and come well recommended.

Ian. Luckily, just a few of the track/wheel joints have come apart.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Update....

I've brushed on a second and luckily, final coat of the Dk. Brown. Considering the two extreme colours, I'm surprised I got away with just two applications.

All a bit brash and squeeky clean, but it will all tone down once the s**t and dust is applied. Not to mention bending bits.

Anyway, here is the tank ready for some detail painting and a general touch up! :flushed:

P1320564.JPG

P1320558.JPG

P1320560.JPG

P1320559.JPG

P1320562.JPG

Where I can, I like to try and 'Flow' the camouflage from the hull to the turret when viewed from above. Just a 'Me' thing really..
P1320563.JPG

Cheers all.
Ron

Last edited: