spanner's 'Under a Fiver build' Dapol 00/H0 0-4-0 Pug Locomotive.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This little loco is my entry for the 2020 Cosford 'Out of the Box' build.

I will be building it in the true and correct spirit keeping to the initial concept set up by the Cosford attendees a couple of years or so ago.
'Build what is in the box'. Means to me the parts on the sprues only. With no additions, alteration, modifications etc. to what is attached to the sprues.

To build a model in this thread any other way is not in the spirit of the 'Under a Fiver' idea. In the past, the lads who have joined in have always stuck to the idea of a simple, quick and fun £5 build.

Hopefully, next year we will all be back at Cosford to continue rooting in the bins.
Next April I will be pushing for the very few, simple and straight forward 'Rules' to be made cast iron and as tight as a Duck's backside. Thus we will keep the original idea as it should be for future fiver builds.

P1250591.JPG

P1250641.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian.

I've given the parts a rough, brushed on coat of black acrylics.
The earlier Airfix kits are moulded in a nice black plastic to start with. Dapol chose to use white!

Boiler halves joined together.
P1250794.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Moving on very nicely....

Typical Cosford fiver build - No dramas, easy, quick and fun build. Don't you just love it?

Footplate, boiler, front buffer plate and pulling things fixed in the cab.

Brush painted with built in streaks and stains as I go along my merry way.
P1250800.JPG

P1250803.JPG

P1250804.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ivors looking very nice now matey, looking forward to the next stage , cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You just gotta give us summat to compare the size to Ron! Is it really as tiny as it looks?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys, your participation is much appreciated.

I've finished the construction. I'm leaving the model in the brush painted black primer, 'cos it's just plain daft to re-paint it in the exact same Vallejo black acrylic.

Here it is ready for detail colouring. Then the decals.
P1250812.JPG

P1250813.JPG

P1250814.JPG

Here you go, Super Dave.
P1250810.JPG

Next to the same scale Dapol 2-6-0 'Mogul' Class locomotive
P1250811.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Dave and Tim.
Tim, thanks for the link. It made for an interesting read. The kit sure has been around for some time, that's for sure.

Here's my finished 0-4-0 Pug.
Nice kit with not much cleaning up to do. Plenty of scope for add-ons and alterations, but as I have no interest in either, I was perfectly happy doing my best with what I found fastened to the sprues.
All brush painted just using black primer, Ferrari red Vallejo with a bit of black added and pencil marks rubbed with my finger.
P1250821.JPG
The rest of the pictures are over in Trains 'Completed'

To those joining in this fun build, please remember, on completion, your model must be shown in the first instance as a 'Stand alone' O.O.B. Should you wish to place your model in a diorama etc, then this can be added afterwards in the relevant sections.

Cheers.
Ron