SPARMAX TC 620X Airbrush Compressor

Supabuild

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi folks.Hoping I can get your opinions on the above compressor which I am considering buying.

Here is a link to a YOUTUBE review.

I am a beginner to modelling and airbrushing but wish to invest in a compressor that hopefully will last me for a good while. Any advice will be appreciated before I invest my hard earned money.

Thanks folks.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
My only thought would be, is this your first compressor it's quite a bit of money to lay out, will you enjoy airbrushing, if you've already got one and you are looking for an upgrade then fill your boots, after all it's your money. Cant help much with this version of compressor, I have the AS186 like many on here, its served me well.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
a compressor only supplies air - you can spend a lot on a compressor, use a cheap airbrush, and be disappointed. A cheap compressor, and an expensive airbrush, and be pleased. If you're a professional, fair enough, but as a hobbyist, I'd be inclined to spend more money on the airbrush, rather than the air supply.................
Dave

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
You could get three AS186s for the price of the Sparmax. Then again, a few posters here have had trouble with their AS186.
Pete

Supabuild

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My only thought would be, is this your first compressor it's quite a bit of money to lay out, will you enjoy airbrushing, if you've already got one and you are looking for an upgrade then fill your boots, after all it's your money. Cant help much with this version of compressor, I have the AS186 like many on here, its served me well.
Hi, yep, its my first compressor.I'm a complete beginner at this but do want to invest a bit of cash to get something that will last a while.I've bought a NEO IWATA airbrush to start with but will plan to upgrade in about 4 to 6 months.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John, I’m one of those that didn’t get on with the 186 ;) Swapped it for an Iwatta compressor at about the same price point as the one your looking at, and found the Iwatta far superior....quieter with greater airflow when needed with no discernible pulsing. It improved my airbrush experience no end, and has been faultless in use over the last six years....however, have you looked at the Sparmax 610, pretty much the same specs for about 30ukp less...
I would also think hard about the purchase. I was a modeller for about ten years before I invested in airbrush kit....it’s not essential while you see if the hobby is for you.....it’s something I would only buy once you know you’re in it for the long haul....
cheers
Tim

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I would agree with Tim, whilst seeing if you'll stick with modelling keep the costs down, then do your research and buy as you need things. The web makes it too easy sometimes to buy all and sundry, but at the end of the day if you can afford it and you feel it will help then go for it.

Supabuild

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hello Tim, thanks for the info.

My situation is I did a bit of model building when I was at school but life then took me on another journey. I loved it!!

I have had to give up my metal detecting due to a disability and have now decided to get back into the modelling as it will be easier for me.

Thanks for the suggestion of the SPARMAX 610, I will look into that. May I ask which Iwata compressor you bought. So, I will be in for it for the long haul. Thanks a lot anyway for the info.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
I have an Iwatta smart jet pro.....John Race on here has just purchased one after his 186 died.
cheers
Tim

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John.
Yes I went down the same road as Tim, had my 186 for 4 years, this new one is a completely different thing. Such a difference .

Try Air craft net, very helpful for Sparmax and Iwata.
If you go down the 186 route John Scale Model Shop has some in his shop .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Had a look at mine yesterday....turns out I have a power jet lite, not a smart jet pro.....same sort of animal, just a bit more puff......sorry if I misled anyone,...

Reactions: JR

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I have the Sparmax 610 and couldn't be happier with it. I did consider the 186, but I firmly believe in the "buy once, cry once" philosophy.

First Name
Martin
Hi folks.Hoping I can get your opinions on the above compressor which I am considering buying.

Here is a link to a YOUTUBE review.

I am a beginner to modelling and airbrushing but wish to invest in a compressor that hopefully will last me for a good while. Any advice will be appreciated before I invest my hard earned money.

Thanks folks.
I have the Sparmax TC-610H Plus, which is the single cylinder version of the one your looking at. You may just be better going with the 610.
Martin