Special Delivery. 1/72 Takom Russian Tractors.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Frustration set in with this one along the way but I've got there in the end. Vehicles could do with more weathering, scenery with more variety, but it's a start. I've definitely learned to keep things more simple and within my capabilities next time, but it was an idea I'd had in my head for a while and now it's out :smiling3:

Sorry about all the resin sanding dust, it gets everywhere and is a bugger to remove. Camera makes it look worse than it is.

BONEyZn.jpg

x83J0pH.jpg

CHpKaiG.jpg

HvJc7sw.jpg

xs6ZQZ9.jpg

AKvYWtt.jpg

1wzTGAl.jpg

62XcjnI.jpg

iGNK7h5.jpg

O1hh7G5.jpg

brB4iAo.jpg

Ua9sND0.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

Considering how new you are to the hobby there is absolutely no need to be apologetic. That is an outstanding effort and you should be very proud of yourself.

Was the water done with that two part water epoxy stuff I saw on 'Latest Acquisitions'. How did you find it to work with? I've been thinking about getting water materials for a while but have been put off by the price.

As i said, very well done indeed.

Andrew

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jack.

Cheers Andrew, and yes, it was the CFS epoxy. I've used a lot of their polyester resin in the past and this is much nicer to work with (and foam/plastic safe). Needs gentle stirring and resting to get the bubbles out, but that seems to be the same as most resins. I warmed it up to get it to flow nicely, and it gelled up within about an hour. Dried hard overnight and the edges sanded & polished up well. Cost wise it was ~£30 including delivery for the 950G pack. I mixed just over 100G for this, around 3-4 quids worth, so it's not exactly expensive when you look at it like that.

Surface ripples were done with W&N gloss structure gel, stippled on.

Thanks Si. It tested me a few times but happy overall, and obviously learned more by having a go than I ever could just watching others. Improvements to make for the next one, but that's always the plan :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Oh, and it gets pride of place as my newest creations normally do. Starting to run out of space now though, 15 kits in the 8 months since I started if you count all of the trucks separately (plus 4 more in various states of progress). Might have to find somewhere else to store them!

eVCkbQF.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
That is b****y good by any standards. You should be very proud of what you have achieved. You've enjoyed making it, learned a lot, the blog have been well received and it's kept you out of mischief - what more is there :smiling:
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim & Mick. Time to get a move on with the next seeing as the Stugfest GB is just around the corner!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Oh, and it gets pride of place as my newest creations normally do. Starting to run out of space now though, 15 kits in the 8 months since I started if you count all of the trucks separately (plus 4 more in various states of progress). Might have to find somewhere else to store them!

View attachment 363971
Be aware, wifey will only tolerate this sort of behaviour for a while ! It will soon be shelves in the loft or something similar.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Colin, I'm happy with how the water turned out. Worth all the testing and experiments.

My wife is actually encouraging me to display them, I can't see it lasting though. She's scared to move them though in case she breaks something!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful build Andy. I have enjoyed this one a lot. There's a lot of action going on and plenty of extras on the vehicles to keep the viewer interested. Great work and good luck with the Stug GB

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Great execution Andy May I ask where did you get that lowboy trailer? Very nice

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks guys. Could / should have been much better but all the issues got to me in the end and I just wanted it finished.

Lee, the trailer came with this kit. My build log is here

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Andy stunning work, l especially like the water, well done for even attempting it, in short time you have been modeling you are doing things I won't even think of attempt so good on you.
Pete. :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Pete. I'm really pleased with the water myself and have loads left, so will be pretty much forced into making more diorama to use it up :smiling5: