Special Hobby 1/32 Fiat G.50-II 'Freccia'.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Its got to rank as one of the most difficult schemes to do ,

I'd say it was difficult in the sense that you do need a bit of patience and perseverance. The actual spraying isn't hard.

I'm sure I did a smoke ring camouflage some years ago on the one and only other Italian job I have ever done. It's not on the shelves so it must have gone to the great attic in the sky.

Really, doing the smoke ring camouflage would be a lot more straight forward than this bonkers scheme, which is probably why the Italians adopted it :thinking:

Edit: I knew I wasn't imagining it!

prq_web.jpg

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Damn, but the white band and cross are bright against the camo
Noice!

Ah, a C205. What kit and scale, can you remember?

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Steve I think you've done a fine job with the camo you must of had the patience of a saint I'm impressed.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ah, a C205. What kit and scale, can you remember?

It's 1/32 so I don't think that it can be anything but the 21st Century Toys kit. I vaguely remember making some 'adjustments' to the tail, maybe the tailwheel area?

I usually keep photographs of builds from box to finish, but the only folder I have for this one is labelled 'Veltro' rather than the aircraft's proper designation (which didn't help finding it, typing variations of 'Macchi') and contains just half a dozen images of the finished model.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
As I recall, and my one is at the bottom of stash 'B' (for 'bedroom', as opposed to 'A' for attic) the 21st Century 205 is quite a nice 'kit', albeit it screws together! I should dig it out and do a proper comparison to the Pacific Coast C.202 I've got
Please, if you've more finished pics, do post

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Decals, such as they are, applied. There's only about a dozen of them.

IMG_2524.JPG

The carrier film is very thin, which is good, but the decals do have a tendency to fold and one did break (though not irredeemably, it was the black '3' above).

The larger decals were applied in two or three parts where possible.

I would be very circumspect about applying a decal setting solution. I have applied an unused decal to a scrap model and will experiment with some Microsol before committing to this model.

Edit: It turns out that the decals are fine with Microsol. It's taken a couple of applications to achieve a decent result.

Last edited:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Oooh, soo pretty! Ahem...
Here's a factoid I have yet to have confirmed by a photo in any of my many Regia Aeronautica books; the fasces symbol on the fuselage side, and possibly also the wing roundels, were ACTUAL decals, stuck on not painted on.
This being the case, always use the transfers!
BTW, is that a squadriglia badge below the fin cross? That's a very rare placement because they'e invariably on the fuselage side, albeit without consistent positioning
Now I've got to dig my kit out and examine
...Mine's a different issue..

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is a true test of both patients and air brush control. Must have done your eyes in staring at the pattern while you painted.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
There are, indeed, a few examples of badges on the fin, but I get the impression they're that rare beast of a personal mount.
Can't, so far, find any with that placement on anything but a G.50
Oh, and that bit about the real decals? The House of Savoy crest on the tail was also printed. Somewhere I've got a picture of one being applied, with the backing paper half removed
Now, THERE'S adio idea for you

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There are, indeed, a few examples of badges on the fin, but I get the impression they're that rare beast of a personal mount.
Can't, so far, find any with that placement on anything but a G.50
Oh, and that bit about the real decals? The House of Savoy crest on the tail was also printed. Somewhere I've got a picture of one being applied, with the backing paper half removed
Now, THERE'S adio idea for you

I'm not surprised they applied the badges that way. It would be a hell of a stencil job with all the colours!

I'm just going with the profile in the kit. I'm guessing, since the aircraft is supposedly in Tirana, that it is based on this or a similar image, taken at the same place.

crop.jpg

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
From about the late 1990s on, Dutch Army vehicles have been marked in the same way: stickers rather than paint for most of the markings.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Superb airbrushing Steve. She is looking great.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've gone about as far as I can with this one. The propeller is not properly fixed here, but it's pretty much done.

IMG_2526.JPG

I'll try to get some 'proper' photos tomorrow and put them in a 'completed' thread.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well done Steve. A great job.

Andrew